mortar at roof edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I don't know what the mortar at the roof edge is called, where the edge tiles are embedded in the mortar? I found some of the mortar underneath the edge roof tile closest to the gutter somehow "absorbs" water. In heavy rains, I can see there is water dripping from the mortar.

I wonder what is the cause of this, and anything needs to be done? thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
This detail is the called the verge. Because it is at the extreme edge of the roof means that it is susceptible to thermal movement of the roof tiles.It is also at the mercy of the weather i.e. wind and rain.

This in turn means that it becomes a fairly busy item regards maintenance, so it is no surprise that re-bedding the verge is a fairly common occurence.

Don't be fobbed off with re-pointing, insist they are re-bedded.

you can get "dry verge" systems that replace the mortar with a sort of bend-over edge in plastic or tile.

AFAIK it is quite a bit of work to fit them to an existing roof :cry: but fairly easy when you are building or reroofing

I have the same problem :cry: :cry: :cry:

thanks for the reply. So I guess I will leave it for now and monitor it. Do you plan to install this dry verge and how long does it last?

Sponsored Links
I also have issues with my roof verge. Over the Winter a previous repointing job has clearly failed as the frost has got in behind it and chunks of cement ave been falling from the verge ever since.

I just got a quote to rebed the mortar for both gable ends of my house and they have come back with £800 per end, so £1,600 in total. I thought that seemed a bit steep and was hoping to find out if anyone else had an idea of the typical costs for this type of work?

£1600 seems a lot... But, There maybe scaffold costs involved or you may have a very obscure tile to match .. so on here we only see a tiny part of the picture.. It's probably best to get another quote from somewhere.. and maybe post a pic?

Hi again - just a quick update - I got a couple of additional quotes and one came in at £780 +VAT and the other was £750 and he is happy to accept cash if I want to avoid VAT.

The additional quotes both described the job that they would do for me, which involved lifting all the edge tiles, removing all of the existing verge mortar and rebedding the tiles in to a new 3 in 1 weatherproofed cement mix. Both quoters also said that they would lift and relay all the ridge tiles as the integrity of the two ends would be compromised when lifting the edge tiles.

Both additional quoters also described the existing mortar as having had a sub-standard skim repair on them some years ago, and it is this skimmed material that has had frost get in behind it and is cracking off and falling on both my front and back gardens (which I guess I knew anyway).

All in all I would say that it is well worth getting additional quotes. When I called back the first quoter (£1,600) to let him know I would not be using his services he just laughed and said I clearly didn't know the price of scaffolding hung up on me. Neither of the two additional quotes said they would need to erect scaffolding as they could work directly off the roof and access via ladders.

Hope that helps anyone else.

If the £750 guy does a good job - give him a £30. drink @ the end ;) I`m sure he meant he wasn`t registered for vat , that`s why he won`t charge it :idea:

and the other was £750 and he is happy to accept cash if I want to avoid VAT.
I suppose £750 is not a life changing sum but cash no paperwork jobs are fine & dandy till something goes wrong & then you’re on your own, no chance of any come backs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back