'Neat' wiring for LED strips in Kitchen Cabinet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, new to the forum although I've been a casual reader for a while (since buying first property last Nov - yay!), so Hi! :mrgreen:

I'm a bit perplexed; I'm looking to put some LED strips inside two new glass fronted wall cabinets, probably on the L&R sides right at the front; but I'm just not sure on the best way to wire them (as in physically run the wires) - my two options considered so far are:
1) Drill a hole in the bottom at the back of each cabinet and run the wires up into here and along the bottom (back and sides) to the base of each strip

2) Drill through the shelf mounting holes between the two cabinets and also through the RH cabinet into the dummy cabinet next to it (has a meter in it and a gap at the bottom/back already) and run all the wires through these

My concern is mainly with drilling holes in three week old kitchen cabinets if there's a neater way of doing things! But I realise that it's likely a necessity... just a matter of how best to do it! :?:

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Can you access the top of the cabinets? Running the wiring over the top and then coming in from the top rather than the bottom would make for a neater end result, hiding the wiring. But if you've got a plug-in transformer (aka wall wart) I presume you've got to come back to low level at some point. Don't suppose there's a high-level extractor fan point you could tap off?

PJ

Sponsored Links
Good point, coming in from the top would perhaps make sense... I guess the ideal solution would be to drill a small hole above each strip and then wire into a little junction on top?

Well... the transformer is a 'stand-alone' one (?? 'in-line'? don't know how to describe it!) which I've currently wired to a plug for testing, my plan is to terminate this in a switched 13amp fused unit (spur from a double socket above worktop height) on the underside of the cabinets, so yes going back down is preferential...
But having said that, the cupboard I mentioned to the right of these two just hides a meter, so could drop the wiring down through that without any real trouble... :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back