Flymo GT500 Two stroke lawnmower, with a Suzuki M120X engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Flymo GT500 two stroke lawnmower started to run slower with blue smoke from the exhaust and then stopped alltogether, I removed the plug which was covered in what looked like carbon, the plug was cleaned and re-fitted.
After I tried and failed to start the Flymo I again removed the plug and it was just as when I re-fitted it, I expected the plug to be wet with unburnt fuel.
There is just a choke on or off lever, but no manual priming system.
Can anyone please advice on what to do next.
Thanks-Bob

Sponsored Links
If you Google.....blue exhaust smoke..... you may find your answer.

Sponsored Links
Carbon on the plug suggests running rich, (black smoke), and blue smoke suggests oil leak in valves, so I reckon, that a piston has been holed, due to pinking. Hence both problems. Take to a garage with a compression checker, insert into sparkplug socket, turn over. They should check it for free.

Blue smoke from a two stroke indicates too much oil in the oil / petrol mixture so check what you are putting the tank......use a 50:1 petrol / oil mix if using fully synthetic or 25:1 if using a cheaper oil.
There aren't any valves - apart from maybe inlet reed valves and they have no consequence here.
Clean the air filter! If its blocked the engine will 'four stroke' rather than run cleanly.
If you want to check the compression you'll feel resistance when you crank the engine over - or you can take the plug out, thumb over the hole and crank....you shouldn't be able to keep the compression in.
I have to say, these Flymo carbs aint the best.....and the syptoms are poor slow speed running at first.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back