How do I remove fixed casement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,
Some years ago we installed, c/o BAC, some new wooden windows. The bay windows consist of 5 sements of which 2 segments open and the other 3 are fixed. When the frame was fitted, the fixed casements were then pushed into the main frame. I would like to remove them for re-treating but I am not sure how they are held in. Presumably, a clip of some sort holds them but I have run a thin card all round the windows under the seal but I can't feel any sort of fixings at all.
Dose anyone have any ideas, all of which will be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Volvomanx

Sponsored Links
I'd like to know too, for the exact same reason, only, my windows were fitted in the 30's.

I've stripped the window on the inside back to bare wood, I can’t see any nails (or filler) which would hit to fixing from the inside. I'm yet to strip the outer surface....

Opened a can of worms with these windows, the leadlights need re-puttying (or an entire rebuild if I'm honest).

I've freed up the two openers too. The nifty old double hinges still work a treat, lots of paint has preserved them I guess.

Hi jbrs 2k
Since posting I have made a little headway. I used one of those hand held metal detectors, the sort used to find pipes and wireing within walls.
I was looking for signs of nails/pins but found none. I did detect metal though. I had a strong reading along the lower horizontal of the casement at about 2 inches in from each side, and also at the top of each vertical about 2 inches down.
I have a feeling that the lower "metal" bits are the means of releasing the casement and the top metal bits hold it in place. So, release the lower, pull out of the main frame a little then pull it down and slide out of the upper fixings.
Just a theory, I will let you know. Need to make a tool for getting behind and releasing the lower fixings.
Regards,
volvomanx

Hi volvoman,
I like your inquisitiveness.
I'm going to paint strip the exterior of at least one of the fixed casements, I'll let you know if I find anything there. I know from another (non-bay) window on my house that filler/putty has been used between the base of the casement and the base of the frame (it is all cracked and coming away). I've not poked around but I wonder if pulling that out will give access to the release you suspect is there? I'll get back to you at the weekend/early next week.

Sponsored Links
Hi volvomanx,
I've not made much progress on this, the 'boss' was on my back to get on with more important jobs.

I did claw out the filler on the inside of the window between the frame and one of the casements. I could see a single piece of metal (a chunky nail I assume) at the centre of the window, no metal visible at the sides. The top of the casement is so tight against the frame that there is only paint covering the gap so I can’t poke around there as the gap is so small.

Maybe your suspicion was correct, some sort of bracket at the top (hence the tight fit), then a fixing at the base.

Have you made any progress?

Bump.
I'm working on these windows again, any input on how the fixed casements would have been originally installed and tips (non barbaric) regarding their removal would be great.

Hi jbrs2k,
Thanks for the contact but unfortunately, i'm still in the same boat and not made progress. That time of year again though so I will be having another bash soon.
I was thinking of giving one of those Window Doctor type repairers a call to see if they have any tips etc. I will let you know of any progress.
Regards,
volvomanx

Hi Volvomanx,
I had a pretty productive weekend working on one of the bays. Free'd up the openers and stripped them back along with the frame they sit in. Applied some primer and undercoat and tried my hand with some puttying too. I've resorted to using rot hardener then filler, I'm happy with the results so far, I guess a few summers and winters will tell though.

Even after stripping the exterior surface I still can fathom how the fixed casements were.....fixed.

Good luck seeking advice, please let me know what you find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back