Immersion heater Timer Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need a new timer for my immersion heater. There is power going to it but not from it to the element.

Basically my question is, I have seen a new immersion timer, and it says 16volts 230 volts. Basically my query is this: I have a 15 amp fuse in my CU supplying it, so will it be OK? Does it mean it can take up to 16 amps or it requires 16 amps?

Thanks for your help

James

Sponsored Links
I expect the timer you have seen is rated for 16 amps at 230 volts. This means it will switch an appliance consuming up to 16 amps at 230 volts. The power requirement of the timer itself will be negligible.

Thanks for your kind and quick reply, it is much appreciated.

So basically it can be used UP TO 16 amps, and not requiring 16 amps. I thought so, just wanted to check before I buy it.

One last point - what exactly does volt-free contacts mean? I am thinking it must be something to do with the switch/relays inside? How does that work then?.... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Volt free contacts means there's no internal connection between the power supply running the clock and the switching contact(s). That makes the timer capable of use for a greater variety of applications.

If you use the timer to switch the supply to the output, as is usual for an immersion timer, you will probably need to insert a wire link between two of the terminals. The instructions should tell you which terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back