Yale 6400 second siren not very loud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Yale 6400 system and have added extra PIRs and sensors to it (total 15). I have had 2 faulty additional sirens (that would not learn to the system) that have been exchanged.

The latest replacement learns OK and can be controlled from the control box (tamper on off etc.) however when it goes off or the tamper is activated it sounds very quietly.

Do I have yet another faulty siren or am I missing something in the set up?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I have been through the manual several times and I can see nothing that would make only this second siren not very loud. The first one taught in works fine with the same settings.

I have tried exchanging the sounders with the other one that works however this is not the cause.

I'm thinking it is something in the control circuitry of the Alarm but was looking for someone who has more experience than I in case I have missed something.

Nothing obvious springs to mind.
Batteries ok?
No packaging lodged in sounder (it can happen)?

Sponsored Links
What happens when you arm and disarm?

Siren battery change
When the batteries start getting low the siren will
produce a series of pips and flashes during arming
and disarming.

Batteries all over 1.5V and when I check voltage at plug to control board it is showing 6.3V so all OK

When setting tamper on/off from control board both sirens beep as expected.

Sounder is clean and has been swapped with a known working one.

I really think that this is the amp chip on the siren control board however to get 3 faulty sirens in a row (albeit that the first 2 had a different problem... Unable to learn in) has to be statistically highly unlikely.

Thanks for your help.

Highly unlikely??
Not really. It can happen - with all products.

It is worth remembering that these are low cost units so production savings make a difference. It is likely one of those savings is in the quality audits.

It would be called a "batch" fault.
Not unheard of, have refused replacement parts before with same batch number as have had the same.

It certainly sounds like it is equipment failure.

Yes I guess you're right. I was just looking for alternative ideas I may have missed before I go swap it yet again.

C'est la vie.

as before make sure it is another batch number or go to Yale direct.
I would also now pester for a free PIR/Contact for lost time and effort.
I take it you also consulted thier helpline so there is evidence of previous calls on this?

Looking at the Sirens they are on 2 different batches. And Yes I have called them on previous occasions so there is a trail.

Have to say my supplier has been pretty good so far... Yale help line less so.

Different batches generally do not have same fault.
When you say swapped, did you swap the allocations of the sounders?
Have you tried side by side to compare?

What is your defination of "a bit quiet"?

Most peculiar.

Never had a quiet siren myself yet and have the deafness to prove it :)

Getting the second siren programmed in is quiet tricky and takes a bit of trial and error but I have yet to fail getting one to work. I suspect the first two sirens were ok but you just weren't sure how to programme them in.

There is no loud or soft settings on the sirens or within the programming so there is some kind of issue with your siren.

I programmed another siren into an existing 6400 set up myself this week and it isn't very clear whether it has worked or not by following the lcd screen or listening to the beeps.
I just tried a couple of times then sent a siren tamper off signal to see if the siren I was adding sent a confirm which it did so I knew it was programmed in.

Getting the second siren programmed in is quiet tricky and takes a bit of trial and error

Go on tell me I imagined that.

Why bother when I can just call you an idiotic troll with again nothing to contribute to a yale thread but blundering around blindly?
Since you have never tried to program a second siren in you wont be aware that when you do the control panel doesn't explicitly confirm it has been programmed in so you have to do a test to see if it has worked.
This is why people think it hasn't worked and the prelearn status isn't properly defined in the instructions. So I learn the sirens in with the learn button pressed before enroling the siren and again without the learn button pressed before enroling the siren. Then I do a test send and if i get a confirm beep from the siren then everything is tickity boo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back