Fire protection..load bearing RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a load bearing RSJ in my kitchen extension that i'm building..It overhangs the ceiling downwards and really you would not want it to sit much lower than it is...

My question is regarding fire projection...I realise double skinning with plasterboard is the obvious one although i'm concerned it will bring the beam even lower..

Does anyone else know of any other options???..someone mentioned a company called cape..does that ring any bells?

all i'm trying to do is keep the beam height as high as possible!

Sponsored Links
you can use an intumescant paint like nullifire. This swells up to a foam in a fire to protect the beam. Best speak to your building inspector to see what he will accept

Why not clad the beam in fire board rather than plasterboard,theres a few companies out there,with cape being one,Promat is another,you'd probably be best off cladding the beam rather than painting it with intumescent paint,it will hide it away rather than looking at a painted beam in the middle of your kitchen.
www.promat.co.uk they will be ble to give you some options if you mail them,hope this helps.
SD Carps

use fire line boards 15mm not sure of the fire time but ive always double skinned with fire boards around steel and soilstacks.

Sponsored Links
if your tight for space, then the intumescant paint will allow you to clad it with thinest material you want to save space

If yor so tight for space that an inch will make all the difference I suspect someone has dropped a ******* somewhere along the line

Actually no..The structural engineer specified a whopper of a beam as basically its holding up the back of the house..the joists run the wrong way to enable the beam to sit high up which results in it being pretty low..

I'm going to look at some of the alternatives suggested..thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back