Dodgy wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to sort out a light that kept blowing, although the wiring is a bit unorthodox having obviously been done by a cowboy/DIYer. I know how 2 switches connected to 2 lights should be ideally wired but stuck with the wiring already in place. I just need to know that it won't blow again. I've made sure all wires are now screwed to their connections properly.

Here's how its wired:

Both black wires (usually used as the switch wire but not in this instance) are all connected to the neutral (blue) on the 1st light and the neutral from the 2nd light is connected to these black wires (all blacks together).

The common from one of the switches is connected to the 1st light and the red wire going from the 2nd light is connected up to these wires.

Both reds from the switches are connected to the other common.

It works but will it blow? I only made the best of a bad job as I couldn't be arsed to take up floorboards and rewire. Will I pay for my laziness or will this work fine even though its not done in the normal way?

Sponsored Links
you've got me totally confused there any chance of a diagram?

if both lights work and both switches work, what are you worried about? the wiring will have no bearing on whether bulbs blow quicker (as far as i know). All that incorrect wiring can do is trip the MCB, and only if this happens will you know there is a problem.

Sponsored Links
Th emcb hasn't tripped so yeah, must be fine. BY the way, how do you insert images as I tried to insert a diagram but couldn't figure out how

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back