Panic alarm for a shop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I want an outside siren to alert surrounding businesses and an actual panic alarm button to set the siren off and to deactivate it. It needs to be wireless. Any cheap solutions?

Sponsored Links
I hate to do this knowing all the trouble you will get.

I have et up panic alarms for old people consisting of a yale alarm siren on the outside wall and a panic button inside the property either bedside mounted or hand held with a wrist or neck strap.

You will get the seperate bits you need. ie a siren and a panic button for around £35 for the working siren and £20 for the panic button.

To programme the panic button and siren simply do the following.

switch dip one to the left
press the learn button
switch on the siren
put dip switch 1 to the right
move dip switch 4 to the left
press the learn button
press the panic button (you will need to make sure you fit its battery first)

The siren will beep

It will then go off and deafen you.

so switch it off

mount it on your wall and then switch it on

wear ear plugs as it will now be sounding

fasten on the front cover and come down the ladder.

now hold your panic button down for 10 seconds to silence the alarm

go and fasten your panic button where you want it

or put it on a strap

to operate the alarm simply hold the panic button down for 3 seconds

to stop the siren hold the button down for 10 seconds.

now await trolls..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yale-Siren-Ya...0764?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item4840ea6e2c

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__yale...yale+panic+button&geo_id=21&ff4=284591_284611

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sorry double-post

Thanks yaleguy that sounds good but is there any cheaper alternative? I really don't need a branded alarm etc.

Don't you trust the one you've got?

Nope the yale one is for the home, this is just meant to be a simple loud panic alarm for my business when thugs come ¬¬
By the time you've cobbled all the seperate compnents to put one together, it will likely cost more than an off the shelf solution.

Also, you need one that works, not might/maybe/sometimes.
If scroats are us pay you a visit, once the see you hit the button, that alarm MUST sound, otherwise you'll be in line for the mother of all kickings.

Don't you trust the one you've got?

Nope the yale one is for the home, this is just meant to be a simple loud panic alarm for my business when thugs come ¬¬
By the time you've cobbled all the seperate compnents to put one together, it will likely cost more than an off the shelf solution.

Also, you need one that works, not might/maybe/sometimes.
If scroats are us pay you a visit, once the see you hit the button, that alarm MUST sound, otherwise you'll be in line for the mother of all kickings.

Heh agreed it must work, so shall I just buy the yale siren and follow the above method then?

Thats the point DON@T buy the yale system it might not work.

Get a proper hard wired sounder and button, after all if it don't go off when you want it to, whats the point? And when you say cheap, what do you mean compared to spending six months in hospital with no business.

Sorry to be harsh but you need to face facts, if you have a problem with people coming into your shop, either fit CCTV, or get a decent panic system, or move shops.

Heh agreed it must work, so shall I just buy the yale siren and follow the above method then?
Wouldn't be my choice, especially considering the earlier description of install.
The concept is fine but choose a more robust product. - plenty of brands have been mentioned in this section.

Remember the old adage of buying cheap - it could well cost you dearly.

Basically I want an outside siren to alert surrounding businesses and an actual panic alarm button to set the siren off and to deactivate it. It needs to be wireless. Any cheap solutions?

Yes there are cheap systems but they are not solutions.

You should NOT consider a system that uses the same button to set the alarm sounding and then pressing the same button again will turn the allarm off. You use it panic and fear, in that state of mind you may press it several times Or the assailent grabs it from you and presses it either knowing or hoping another press will turn the alarm off. Once you start the alarm it sounds until you go to another place and, preferable with key or code cancel the alarm.

If you must use wireless because you want to carry the alarm around with you then you will have to accept ( for your own safety ) that routine tests are carried out To ensure that when you press the button the unit will send the alarm message. Or buy a type that sends a "no alarm" message every few seconds when the button is not pressed as well as sending an alarm message immediately the button is pressed. That way if the mobile unit fails ( or is snatched and smashed before you can press it ) the alarm will sound within a few seconds. If you carry it with a snatch pin on a cord attached to you belt of similar ) if the unit is snatched he pin comes out and the alarm is started.

Wired panic buttons are much more reliable and several can be fitted where staff can reach them.

Agree with Bernard.
Yale, battery dies, so do you!

Pin rip is best in this situation.

In saying that a similar was fitted by myself and a shotgun in the face of the shop keepers 16 yr old daughter stopped that as well. Awareness is the key here, nothing more nothing less.

Simple rules for shopkeepers, dont leave youngsters on the till. Have a small amount in the till at all times. Do not have the CCTV cables leading to the DVR hanging down so the thieves can take the DVR too.
Make isles difficult to run through.
This is basic stuff, more professional advice is not really for the public domain for obvious reasons.

You could also consider a drop safe if you have worries.

its basically a safe with a letterbox slot in so cash can be put in but not easily retrieved.

Is it your clientelle do you need a front door with an automatic lock so you have to physically allow people in or not.

I would consider an internal and external alarm if an alarm goes off within the shop as well as outside then it could spook them into running away - it could also spook them into acting irrationally too so difficult choice.

I am not going to push yale here it was a suggestion and its easy to set up but it would have to be considered a stop gap measure until something else could be put in place.

At the end of the day whatever alarm you get in place you have to be reasonably sure that if activated it gets the response you want.

I set up some simple systems with external sirens , a linked smoke alarm and a wrist strap panic button for some elderly residents.
I also went round all the local neighbours within earshot of the siren with a leaflet explaining what the siren was for and that it was not a burglar alarm. The leaflet explained that the siren would go off only if the resident pressed the panic button or if the smoke alarm picked up fire.

This system was prompted by newspaper reports locally of elderly people found dead by neighbours when they hadn't been seen for weeks and an incident where a lady died when vandals set fire to her wheely bin.

I would just like to add. Again continual mention of yale batteries dying - I presume that Bernards suggestion of pin rip systems carried wirelessly even by some other manufacturer would have the same battery worries?

I would just like to add. Again continual mention of yale batteries dying - I presume that Bernards suggestion of pin rip systems carried wirelessly even by some other manufacturer would have the same battery worries?

The worry about batteries can be reduced to almost zero by designing the system to detect battery failure and ensuring the owner / user is aware long before low battery would prevent the system processing an emergency.

This is best done by the base station at regular intervals requesting each of its mobile units to confirm they are still active and provide a status of battery. If a mobile does not reply or gives a fault / low battery status then the base knows that mobile has a problem and can inform the owner / user.

A mobile can have a motion / position detector. If the person carrying has not moved for several minutes it bleeps to ask them if they are OK If they do not cancel it then an alarm is created. Also if they are lying flat for a few seconds then the bleep can be started.

Also each mobile knows that the base station is still active. If the base station ceases to request confirmations then the mobiles know the base has ceased operating and one or more mobiles can inform the user.

This frequent communication does reduce battery life but that is a small price to pay for a system that is self checking and informs the owner / user when something is not working within a few minutes of the fault occuring.

On a wired system this two way checking is continuous and the owner / user can be informed immediately that there is a fault.

OK its obvious that I need to get its pro installed wired etc, going to ask a company to install it.

Any sites showing companies that have the certification required?

Radio PA in a shop? Not a good idea.

Would you be able to guarantee that you/your staff will ALWAYS carry/wear the button? Of course not, It'll be a novelty for a few weeks then it'll get put in a drawer, pushed to the back and forgotten about.

Staff change, forget to tell them about it, the list goes on and on.

Have wired fitted (more than one) and Double Push (two buttons side by side to be pushed together) always accessible and don't get lost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back