Outside front step tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am getting a my outside front step tiled.....(getting a pro into do it).....but I took the old tiles off and have found wood - wood in not very good condition - under some of the tiles and concrete under the rest.

What is the easiest option for tiling this - replace the wood or some other solution?

Sponsored Links
If it’s an outside step you have, it really should not be made of wood; brick in filled with cement is the usual choice but anything except wood. You really don’t need a pro-tiler to tile an outside step. :confused:

Hi Richard

Cheers for the advice. It was previously all tiled and the wood bit is between the storm doors and the front door which I only noticed when I took it off. It is not a big step - about 2.5 square metres and the cost (given when he looked at it with the current tiles on) is not massive.

Would bricking it up and cementing it be expensive (it would be less than about a square metre)?

I have done bits of tiling but only in places that are not visible to passers by :oops:

If the steps in a storm porch it’s not really outside. How is the "step" constructed, is it a timber framed step covered in ply? If the ply supported just replace it with a waterproof tile backer board.

Maybe a pic would help!

Sponsored Links
Apologies for not replying sooner.....been busy at work.

The wood part of the step is between the storm doors and the front door, from the storm doors out it is concrete.

The tiler came back and is going to put down 9mm ply at the wooden bit....Is that ok?

You haven’t said how the ply is supported, timber frame etc? Normally 18mm is the minimum thickness for replacement floor 12mm over an existing floor; difficult to say without seeing it or a photo but 9mm isn’t really thick enough even for over boarding. It must also be WBP not standard ply & the underside & edges should be sealed with acrylic primer.

Make sure he uses flexible powder cement adhesive not tub ready mix & flexible grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back