Protec 6000 SSR sounder beacon, is non-addressable possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 12 y.o. son who is alarm obsessed has bought a Protec 6000 SSR beacon off Eblag and now discovers that it is addressable only. Since he doesn't have a panel that can do this, is it possible to convert it to conventional use?

Alarm engineers - did you know that up and down the country there's a whole sub-culture of lads setting up alarms in their bedrooms? Mine has begged, borrowed and bought the bits and now he has a Texecom Veritas 8C panel with a door contact, a PIR, sounder and flashing blue beacon and woe betide anybody who walks into his bedroom uninvited! Just go on YouTube and search for alarm tests and you'll realise how big this thing is, they are setting up all kinds of stuff in their rooms and being 30 - 50 years younger than us oldies and having grown up with computers they have no difficulty in getting their heads around microchips and programming sequences. The future looks bright for your profession!

Sponsored Links
Well if he splits the board, the triggers are all there.
If he is smart enough its a doddle :D

Built my first alarm system with relays, pressure mats and a freidland bell when 9, i`m 47 now :D

That's good, thanks. I think he will need a couple more clues - what board? Do you mean the module that's screwed into the back of the beacon?

I'm non-electrical so can you explain "addressable" to me? Where is the signal generated that makes the sound? In the panel? or does the panel just tell the beacon to make a noise? What triggers would he need to find?

Grateful as always.

(BTW how loud are these things?)

Law/regs require a certain degree of Db above ambiedient.
This one can hit 100 db, so dont stand close when it goes off!!!

Yes the back module. He can bypass the "protocols" going direct to the drivers ( direct connectoins to the devices).

Sponsored Links
My 12 y.o. son who is alarm obsessed has bought a Protec 6000 SSR beacon off Eblag and now discovers that it is addressable only. Since he doesn't have a panel that can do this, is it possible to convert it to conventional use?

Alarm engineers - did you know that up and down the country there's a whole sub-culture of lads setting up alarms in their bedrooms? Mine has begged, borrowed and bought the bits and now he has a Texecom Veritas 8C panel with a door contact, a PIR, sounder and flashing blue beacon and woe betide anybody who walks into his bedroom uninvited! Just go on YouTube and search for alarm tests and you'll realise how big this thing is, they are setting up all kinds of stuff in their rooms and being 30 - 50 years younger than us oldies and having grown up with computers they have no difficulty in getting their heads around microchips and programming sequences. The future looks bright for your profession!
I do believe a link was posted up on one of the trade forums recently.
Is he a well spoken lad?

If it is the same video, compliments to the young 'un. He came across very well.

Well if he splits the board, the triggers are all there.
If he is smart enough its a doddle :D

Built my first alarm system with relays, pressure mats and a freidland bell when 9, i`m 47 now :D
47??

Jeez, life not be good to you.
:evil:

Is he a well spoken lad?

If it is the same video, compliments to the young 'un. He came across very well.

It wasn't him, although he has accumulated hours of video on his camera of alarm tests with very shaky camera work! He even had Mrs RR and me testing the bedroom panic button last weekend while he videoed the operation.

Jeez, life not be good to you.
:evil:

Steady on m8ty, your short bald and Fugly.
So your shorter, Fuglier and I choose to shave my head, wots your excuse :mrgreen:

Seem to remember a little genius on another forum.
Think he built his own interface to a scanny 9100. Why? Because he could I suppose! good lad!!!!

Hope all the little "gems" in this world go for it. Its how we evolve.

3 cheers for little Einsteins ..........................

Is he a well spoken lad?

It wasn't him, although he has accumulated hours of video on his camera of alarm tests with very shaky camera work! He even had Mrs RR and me testing the bedroom panic button last weekend while he videoed the operation.
How dya know? I'll see if i can dig out the link.

Can you get to the pcb in this unit?
(If so what is the PCB "WEFA" number)

If not what is the full model number?

I know the chap who designed these, I may be the chap who did the PCB or I know the other chap who did lol.

I can always find out.

EDIT:

Its all coming back to me now - is it this?.

ISTR that the PCB is potted (or it was 3 years ago) so you wont be able to change it.

Yes, thanks, that's exactly it. The "module" is finished with a cream coloured resin that encases everything. From the weight of it, it feels as if that's solid resin right down to the sounder, right?

He got the module off and rigged 18v to the strobe, which made the LEDs flash a bit feebly but it looks like that's about all it will do.

Maybe I should be grateful for the sake of our ears?

Is he a well spoken lad?

This your young lad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJeQPLpqXc&feature=player_embedded

You dont want the sounder in the bedroom for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back