mole post - how good are they?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

not really home security - but field security.

We have travellers in our area who we'd like to keep out. We've decided to invest in some mole posts but I'd like to know how secure they are.

They are advertised as ram raid posts. But the travellers don't fit into this category. They have the tools and skills to break into them and let them down gently !

The ones we've got are round (about 3 feet high?) with an integrated locking system. You pull the post out of the ground, twist it to stop it dropping down and then lock it. I was wondering if they could just chisel off the lock and then drop it down somehow?

Any help would be most welcome !

thankyou,
John.

Sponsored Links
Is it set in concrete? Or soil with concrete bedding?

Trouble is as you they have time and the tools. I managed a security manufacturing company and had an trading estate to secure. Not much use when they had petrol driven angle grinders. The cameras were more of a deterrant as they proved criminal damage to gain access. Even a few dummy ( but decent ones) cameras would be a better solution IMHO. one of the land owners actually opaid them to stay off his plot and warn the others away, it worked, but a bit drastic!!!

Even dogs dont deter them, well here anyway.
Manned security if the site warrants it. Or cameras linked to a paging system, or an ARC (Alarm Recieving Centre) so police can be called or at least yourself.

Not good news for you really. But it does depend on the site, and if you have services there that makes it the more attractive.

Sponsored Links
I heard a story a while back involving some travellers who moved onto a vacant plot next to an electronics factory.

Naturally, the factory owners were concerned about the security of their site, and the apparent inability of the authorities to take any action against the growing number of travellers on the vacant plot next door.

One of their electronics techies provided a solution. One evening he placed a box of electronics of his own creation on the office windowsill, plugged it in and left it running overnight.

The travellers spent their next day twisting and turning their satellite dishes and TV aerials in every conceivable direction.

The day after that, they all upped sticks and moved on voluntarily.

whatever was in said box of electroincs I would bet it was highly illegal...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back