Optima XM alarm Will not set.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Optima XM 4 zone alarm, during some renovation work, the cable to the outside bell was accidently cut, I joined it back up and the alarm has been fine since then.

Yesterday my wife tried to switch the alarm off after returning to the house, she didn't get the code in, in time and the alarm set off.

She put the code in and reset the alarm as normal.

The next time we tried to arm the system, we input the code and all four zone lights lit up and the normal exit tone went to a rapid beeping, nothing happens, the system cannot be armed.

I've tried pressing reset twice, tried changing the code and the same thing happens.
Apart from thinking, there may be a short in one of the joined wires to the bell sounder which is affecting all four zones, I'm at a loss what it could be, the battery was replaced about 4 years ago so I don't think that'll be a problem, any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the bell cable repair has a problem and its took the internal fuse out..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies
I didn't think it would be the battery because my logic was that the mains power would still allow me to set the alarm and When my original battery failed I didn't have any problem setting the alarm, so just dismissed that as a cause.
However as a couple of you think it could be the battery, that's making me think that because the battery is a safety back up and it's not working, then the alarm has a built in safety mechanism, preventing it being set to make me aware of a battery problem, would that be right?

I was more leaning toward the bell box wire repair developing a fault, especially as it's affecting all four zones, it was just odd the way it's been working fine until the wife set it off accidently and I wondered if there was something more obvious that I was missing before I pulled the repair apart.

hi ive had gardtec bell boxes with a faulty strobe, the alarm is fine untill you activate the alarm then the aux fuse blows. this could be the case ?

Thanks Sparymarka, that sounds like a good place to start, so this fus is the one inside the control unit? I remember changing that one before a few years ago.

The question mark about the battery was in the assumption that it is 4 yrs old so must be alright. That can well be a false assumption. Some batteries at that age will be stuffed, some fine, some on their way.
On an old panel, has a possibly stuffed panel taken out the board/fuse? Or is something else aty fault.

You need to check. Beware of mains in there though.

Thanks for that Alumina, I took your 1st replay about the battery the wrong way, my daft logic.
I'm hoping the fuse will be the problem as the bell wire repair would be a right chew on to pull to bits as I put it together for ever.

Hi all,

I checked the fuses inside the control unit and they're ok. I also disconnected the bell wire repair, isolating the bell from the system, also ensuring that no bare wires could contact any others.

Everything is still the same, all 4 zones light up when I put the code in and I get the same rapid beeping, I put a voltage meter across the battery and got a reading of 7.5v DC, mind you I did it with the spade connections attached, so I guess that wasn't a true test.

But I don't believe it's a battery issue, any more ideas please fella's.

What voltage does a battery run at?
What is its correct charging rate for a XM?

YOU NEED TO CHECK THE CHARGING CIRCUIT AND YOU NEED A NEW BATTERY.

Thanks alarm, so it sounds like my next step is a new battery.
I'll purchase one and give it a try, at least it rules out something else.

hi first thing to check before buying a new battery is the large resistor under the keypad if its all black and burnt out you may as well fit a new panel.

It's ok fella's i'm keeping an eye on the comments before I do take the plunge with a battery replacement, don't know how I'm gonna check the charging circuit though.

I took the battery off and only had 7.5v across the terminals and it's a 12v battery so that's indicating that either the battery isn't charging or it's kapoot and not holding it's charge, so I think we're on the right track.

I'll check the resistor behind the keypad and also check the back of the board for any burnt items before I spend any cash.

Alarm; sorry I didn't answer your questions

What voltage does a battery run at?
What is its correct charging rate for a XM?

The book says Low voltage output 13v DC stabalised (max 350mA)
Recharge voltage 13.8V dc

Rechargeable battery capacity 1.2 to 6 Ah and the battery is 12v
Don't know if that answers your questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back