Whats the point of an alarm....really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have enjoyed watching and in the recent past taking part in some of these the threads espcially when it all kicks off and it is qute amusing

But I do wonder What is the POINT of having an alarm?

How much is the HOME security alarm business (note HOME) worth in this country alone? 100's of millions? I dont know but no doubt its worth quite a lot and there are all sorts of rules, qualifications, insurance guff etc and the hissy fits that appear on here show that there is a lot of fuss around the whole thing..................BUT

Do you actually need one?

For all the talk and all the money I have yet to see any concrete proven measurable evidence that having one type of alarm (wired) is better than a wireless diy job or even a couple of dummy bell boxes.

The main factor in having any of the above 3 appears to be the Deterrent Factor i.e. the fact that you have what APPEARS to be an alarm system is a deterrent to the vast majority of burglars as the noise might inconvenience.

A professional burglar could probably get round your alarm and having one in a rural area is practically null and void as no one will come anyway

It amazes me that people are prepared to pay so much money and time and effort for 'peace of mind' which is possibly the most pointless emotion there is as you may not actually be any safer!

If deterrent is the MAin factor why not just put up a couple of Genuine ADT boxes with a little flasing light and be done with?

If a burglar/intruder breaks in despite the signs of an alrm they are not going to be too bothered by the noise are they?

They will likely be in and out in minutes and nowadays most people/neighbours ignore them anyway

I would really be grateful if someone could give a definitive link to some stats that actually show how LESS LIKELY you are to be burgled if you have a WIRED alarm compared to a wireless, dummy boxes or no alarm at all.

For an industry likely worth Millions you would think that such data existed but i cant find anything

All i have ever got on here is UN verfiable ANECDOTAL nonsense that might as well have just been made up

I know of NO other industry where so much money can be made on so LITTLE proof of efficiacy

Sponsored Links
Do you actually need one?

Ask your insurance company.
Ask someone who has been a victim of theft/injury.

You should do better research.

We live in an annexe on a small farm where the owners are away during the week.

An alarm on the farm buildings and main house are a must as it wakes us up, (well that and the dogs) if we have a attempted break in and we have to deal with it.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Been a while Spacer, you bored?

i actually have a life outside of these forums and often im busy or cant really be A**ed

You MISS the point .........sort of as you usually do going on about INSURANCE, VICTIMs etc

Im not talking about that.

I just want some REAL INDEPENDENT EVIDENCE that its worth my while to invest in such a system compared to any other

Show me that it is scientifically proven?

I honestly cant think of another industry where something costs so much with so little to back it up

Police believe Security Systems reduce burglaries

90 percent of police believe alarms deter burglary attempts.
Source: STAT Resources, Inc.

A survey showed that 81 percent of residential intrusions occur through the first floor. 34 percent of burglars entered through the front door; 23 through a first floor window; 22 percent through the back door; 9 percent through the garage; 4 percent through an unlocked entrance; 2 percent through a storage area; and only 2 percent entered anywhere on the second floor. Another study showed that 12 percent of burglaries occurred through an unlocked door and that in 41 percent of alarmed homes that were burglarized, the security system was not turned on.
Source: University study

Now get off your backside and look for the others yourself.

I don't know if I can tell you alarms work. All I can tell you is that none of the burgled clients I have ever installed an alarm for had an alarm in the first place.

So definately people will get an alarm installed after they are burgled.

The police will also confirm that most burglaries will happen to homes that aren't alarmed.

In terms of what you might be really hinting at it makes no difference at all whether an alarm is grade 1 or 2 when it activates.

They will both sound a siren - what happens next depends solely on your relationship with your immediate neighbours and whether they care enough about you to come out and see whats going on.

A survey showed that 81 percent of residential intrusions occur through the first floor. 34 percent of burglars entered through the front door; 23 through a first floor window; 22 percent through the back door; 9 percent through the garage; 4 percent through an unlocked entrance; 2 percent through a storage area; and only 2 percent entered anywhere on the second floor. Another study showed that 12 percent of burglaries occurred through an unlocked door and that in 41 percent of alarmed homes that were burglarized, the security system was not turned on.

once again you post WITHOUT reading

I have ALREADY mentioned DETERRENT effect

i am asking for a COMPARISOn between WIRED, WIRELESS, and DUMMY boxes

If it is all about DETERRENT then ANY ONE will do

Hate that word burglarized sound so USofA

I'm surprised that patio doors didn't figure significantly - Almost every burgled house I have attended was broken into via the patio door!!

Hate that word burglarized sound so USofA

I'm surprised that patio doors didn't figure significantly - Almost every burgled house I have attended was broken into via the patio door!!
I suspect that was covered by the 'back door'.

So sorry Spacer, but you continuoius baiting bores me. Hence I only skimmed your post.

I can see the direction your taking again. You do this every time.
So carry on.
Without me.

So sorry Spacer, but you continuoius baiting bores me. Hence I only skimmed your post.

I can see the direction your taking again. You do this every time.
So carry on.
Without me.

BYE BYE No one asked you in the first place........you can provide no REAL proof for what you peddle be off you charlatan

to get back on track there is NO EVIDENCE that a wired alarm has anymore impact on burgalries than a wireless one or even DUMMY boxes!

whata joke industry....save your money for better locks and a few lights on timers :eek:

Some facts about "security lights"

Some people are surprised to learn that security lighting can be counter-productive. Turning off lights halved the number of thefts and burglary. A test in West Sussex UK showed that adding all-night lighting in some areas made people there feel safer, although crime rates increased 55% in those areas compared to control areas and to the county as a whole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back