Whats the point of an alarm....really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The police statistics as you say will not differentiate between all the alarms.
The police will simply note whether the house owner was alarmed.
So all the Police statistics are just as relevant to all systems whether thats a wired , wireless . professional alarm or even a yale.
The police do not keep a record of dummy box only homes however I would agree that 95% of the work an alarm does is the box on the wall.

If I was going on holiday and I could not afford an alarm then for sure with my experience I would at the least fit a dummy box.

Sponsored Links
Some facts about "security lights"

Some people are surprised to learn that security lighting can be counter-productive. Turning off lights halved the number of thefts and burglary. A test in West Sussex UK showed that adding all-night lighting in some areas made people there feel safer, although crime rates increased 55% in those areas compared to control areas and to the county as a whole

More hypocrisy and inability to read a basic sentence

firstly you said you were off then you continue to post

Then you post more utter nonsense as you clearly can't read properly

Who said "security" lights? or even mentioned street lightning?

I'm talking about having various lights in the home on timers to give the impression of being in

In fact our local neighbourhood police were giving out timers to people a short while back

You talk rubbish and cannot validate the over priced pointless industry you work in

Its all based on peoples fear perception but not in reality

I was making sure others knew what you intended.
YG3 as indictated stats are held by the Met and other forces, with no difference between wired or wireless.

You have again come along with an obtuse question to make yourself look good.

We always advise good physical security, as you and others always bleated on when I mention it.
The fact is alarms are needed, wether for peace of mind and or insurance and necessity, to include hard wired and wireless.

A dummy is better than nothing, but can be spotted a mile off.

However we answer you will twist and turn, the as per usual disappear for a while basking in self gloating.
If you want anymore stats ring your local police force and ask them, as we are not at liberty to post as yet unpublished information.

Where an alarm is makes a difference.

ie Where I live if an alarm goes off the neighbours investigate and pop round , look round the house and the garden to see if there are any signs of either intruders or break ins.

I do that for my neighbours and we have met in various states of undress and footwear at some strange times.

However in some areas people are reluctant to nominate keyholders because they don't trust their neighbours.

Sponsored Links
I take it spacecat will be posting up the statistics to validate his statements??

I thought not.

You can't read

I said there are NO statistics or evidence to show that having an expensive wired alarm perhaps with a very expensive contract has any measureable difference in terms of burglary prevention over a wireless alarm or Convincing dummy box.

peace of mind is A joke perpetrated by insurance companies to get your money when the facts don't back up the reality

I know of no other industry with such an ill founded basis for its existence

I do wonder What is the POINT of having an alarm?

My reason is when I used to do night shiftwork, I didn't like the thought of my wife with 2 young boys without an alarm, I have a vibra-sensor type alarm which will set off the alarm before anyone can enter the property giving my wife time too ring the police, I'm not bothered about if they pinch anything just the thought if they attack my wife and children's, a piece of mind when I'm away from home, since then I have upgrade to 9 cctv's 24hrs recording, never has any break in or maybe I'm lucky or could be the fact it's too much hassles for the burglar? I would've thought the alarm system is better than nothing? I think you have to ask the question if you would break into the property with the alarm system or without, I know what the answer for me is!

You can't read

I said there are NO statistics or evidence to show that having an expensive wired alarm perhaps with a very expensive contract has any measureable difference in terms of burglary prevention over a wireless alarm or Convincing dummy box.

peace of mind is A joke perpetrated by insurance companies to get your money when the facts don't back up the reality

I know of no other industry with such an ill founded basis for its existence
No statistics?
Or, as you can't be bothered checking, none that you know of?

As it happens, companies will and do have that information, but are not obliged to divulge it to the likes of you.

For someone with little to no knowledge of the finer points of systems, it would be interesting to see your evidence supporting your wild allegations.

@ alumni Once again your lack of knowledge is stark

Any business worth its salt would SHOUT about any statistics that show them in a positive light as it would likely lead to a increase in sales and hence more profit

I would consider buying one if such information existed that would make it worth my while but none exists

Lets face it there are a number of professional installers here and NONE of them can provide any evidence they what they sell is more effective at burglary prevention than a dummy box!

Would you buy a house for 500k if the owner told you thats what its worth?
Or would you test the market, look at local prices etc

You can't test the wired alarm market as no information exists its purely based on fear perception

I do wonder What is the POINT of having an alarm?

My reason is when I used to do night shiftwork, I didn't like the thought of my wife with 2 young boys without an alarm, I have a vibra-sensor type alarm which will set off the alarm before anyone can enter the property giving my wife time too ring the police, I'm not bothered about if they pinch anything just the thought if they attack my wife and children's, a piece of mind when I'm away from home, since then I have upgrade to 9 cctv's 24hrs recording, never has any break in or maybe I'm lucky or could be the fact it's too much hassles for the burglar? I would've thought the alarm system is better than nothing? I think you have to ask the question if you would break into the property with the alarm system or without, I know what the answer for me is!

Most of what you have posted is based on fear, not reality

A good dummy box would probably have offered you as much protection for little expense

This myth of unknown people breaking in and attacking families is so unlikely as to be statistically irrelevant

YOU are more likely...statistically......... to harm your family so if you want to keep them safe

DOnt GO HOME!

Btw if a psycho turns up who wants to kill them they are not going to stop to think about your alarm system.

:eek:

And your statistics are based on what?

As before there are statistics available to people from the relevant authorities. Write to them and ask.
As before your local Police force hold them.
We cannot divulge their statistics without permissions.

Again as explained before.
There are others, you look for them. Rather than make wide assumptions.

And thats two independent people who have advocated alarm systems, yet you discount them.

What do you really want apart to drag up an argument you could not substantiate last time.

firstly you shouldnt be posting if you actually kept your word

Secondly any stats could be made available by a simple FOI request

thirdly YOU HAVE NO STATS or you would be the first to say it

EVERY industry I have ever heard of SHOUTS about stats/evidence to advertise their products

Eg. KILL ALL KNOWN GERMS DEAD
8 out of 10 Cats
ad infinitum

Why be so coy?

I am looking for verifiable scientific data not chancers on a website

It looks like spacecat is bored. He has nothing to 'discuss' now the football season is over, so he is now attempting to provoke alarm engineers instead.

But it seems the engineers are already aware of his antics!

If you want to find a business that preys on peoples insecurities then why not base it on the cosmetics industry.

My wife sells pots of cream for . . . .£350!!!!!

alarms have a sound (excuse the pun) logic.

ie If I am not here and someone breaks in it will alert my neighbours or even myself if I have a linked alarm.

It's straightforward common sense and a practical solution to a problem.

My local police recently noticed a mini crimewave where I live.

45 homes were burgled and all without exception as reported by the local police did not have an alarm.

You could try the dummy box route and get 95% of the efficiency of a normal alarm but when that 5% strikes you would wish you hadn't

Any business worth its salt would SHOUT about any statistics that show them in a positive light as it would likely lead to a increase in sales and hence more profit

I would consider buying one if such information existed that would make it worth my while but none exists

Lets face it there are a number of professional installers here and NONE of them can provide any evidence they what they sell is more effective at burglary prevention than a dummy box!

Would you buy a house for 500k if the owner told you thats what its worth?
Or would you test the market, look at local prices etc

You can't test the wired alarm market as no information exists its purely based on fear perception
So says a man with no knowledge of the industry or what we do.
Yet again, nothing more than scurrilous slaver from you.
I'll give you this, at least you're consistent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back