Best practice for painting woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In relation to my previous thread "Blending undercoat with eggshell" can I confirm what the best practice for painting woodwork in the following instances. I would be grateful if you state how many coats of primer, undercoat and eggshell, when to sand, use filler etc.

a) if the final finish required is brilliant white eggshell
b) if the final finish required is a light gray eggshell.

1) fresh unpainted wood.
2) wood that has had the original paint smoothed down, but there is still a layer of paint as a base.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You're not happy are you?

Some of the lads here may wish to get involved in this but what's important is , what does the finished job look like now.

At the moment, not really. I checked this morning and the eggshell coat is dragged on, irregular brush strokes and there are drips, and pieces of flint that must have come from the roller. they have gone over the glass and hinges even though I had applied masking tape to them and cut around the shape with a scalpel.

The emulsion coat was applied without protecting my new radiators.

How much did you pay? Were they foreigners or ******?

Sponsored Links
Well fancy that. Why did you employ foreign chancers? They are no better qualified than you are. What are they asking for?

cost? £1520.

for decorating walls, ceilings and woodwork throughout the flat .this is to include labour, prep, materials (wall/wood fillers, masking tapes, sanding paper etc.). Not paint.

You should withold any form of payment until they put the work right.

Dec

cost? £1520.

for decorating walls, ceilings and woodwork throughout the flat .this is to include labour, prep, materials (wall/wood fillers, masking tapes, sanding paper etc.). Not paint.

You'd have got a good Brit tradesman for that. What is it about you people that think that you are getting a bargain just because they are Polish?

Serves you right.

And if you refuse payment they'll give you a kicking.

Hope you learned a good lesson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back