Help! Connecting 32mm sink into 40mm waste with washing m/c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we have a downstairs cloakroom which is also the utility room with a washing machine and kitchen sink with drainer in it. We decide to replace the worktop, sink and tap with more bathroom/cloakroom ones and bought a bathroom sink we liked.

Alas this has a 32mm waste and all the waste fittings we can find which allow the connection of our washing machine are 40mm. Is there a means of connecting a 32mm waste from the sink directly into a 40mm trap with a washing machine connector?

thanks in advance for help. I have tried 3 plumbers merchants and drawn a blank - the reducers we have found don't have the screw thread we need to fit onto the bottom of the 32mm sink nor can we find a 40mm trap with washing machine connector that might work.....

tks

Sponsored Links
you should be able to cut into the 40mm and insert a32mm centred tee, then use a flexiconnector from your 32mm to that . Macalpine make the flexiconnector and should be available from most outlets :)

Thanks for that, but unfortunately I can't find the part on the Mcalpine website - do you have a part number?

Scratch that - I was being a bit dumb and found them all. However, I don't quite understand your suggestion; we have a 40mm trap with appropriate connections for the washing machine, and would ideally like to just connect the sink waste which is 32mm to to the top of the 40mm trap. We can't put it too low down because of the water pressure from the washing machine.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I thought that there is a black rubber reducer which allows you to connect a 32mm into a 40mm socket?

I think the OP wants to screw the 40mm (11/2") trap onto a 11/4" basin waste thread.

I'm not aware of a proper fitting that will allow for that, but a 11/2" x 11/4" bush might do the job.

If you fix your 32mm trap then connect a length of 32mm pipe to this and then a 32mm to 40 mm reducer to your 40mm pipe. It depends on the type of pipe you have whether you use a push fit or solvent weld reducer or you can use a compression reducer but these need a little more space. Then fit one of these http://www.bes.co.uk/products/123.asp#6957 on to the 40mm pipe for your washing machine.

I dont think you are meant to use a 75mm min depth trap on a basin.

So far I dont see why a 32mm basin trap cannot be connected to 40 mm fittings with a short length of tube and a rubber reducer.

Tony

Is there a means of connecting a 32mm waste from the sink directly into a 40mm trap with a washing machine connector?

I had exactly the same problem (retrofit a washing machine into a WC with 32mm waste). I solved it with one of these:

http://www.polypipe.com/housing/abo...p-connectors/32mm-x-40mm-waste-trap-connector

They were quite tricky to find though - I eventually found one online here:

http://www.plumbingforless.co.uk/pl...aste-to-trap-connector-32mm-x-40mm-white-wtc2

Hope this helps!

....and you have a low opinion of plumbers..:ROFLMAO:.
So what would be the minimum trap seal depth when discharging a basin into a soil and vent stack?
Please refrain from commenting on things you clearly know fook all about.

OP - Depending on what type of trap you are using, pipe it all in 40mm and use a 1 1/4" trap with a 1 1/2" outlet - McAlpine do a straight through trap with this configuration

:rolleyes: .... how deep do you think a straight through trap is (specifically designed for pedestal basins), apart from the adjustable height ones most, if not all, have a 75mm seal.

Thread is 5 years old, maybe agile has become a top plumber in the intervening years :eek: then again perhaps not:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back