Dudley Turbo88 toilet syphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet suddenly will not flush.

I have taken apart the Dudley Turbo 88 syphon and there do not appear to be any tears or damage to the thin plastic membrane. It is attacked to the framework (not at the edges) and the frame / membrane move up and down freely when the chain is pulled.

The cistern fills just fine but when the handle is flushed only a small amount of water goes down the pan. The loo used to take 2 flushes before it would operate.

Should I replace the membrane anyway or could I have another problem??

Sponsored Links
If you had to flush twice, it could be that you have the wrong sized turbo88 fitted. A replacement membrane may do the trick, but if you have the same problem fit an alternative flush mechanism, such a dual flush which will save you water if you are on a meter. ;)

Fit a Fluidmaster flapper valve. Dual flush and easy maintenance for the future.

Sponsored Links
Just get a replacement Turbo 88, the beauty of the 2 part syphon is that it takers 5 minutes to change, without the need to remove the cistern 1st (and they are dual flush)

Oh come on we all know them flapper valves are carp.
the chains break.
the bungs come out of the plastic holder.

And we all know some people talk carp.
Mine's been fitted for 5 years and has not been any trouble.

You might be talking about other makes when you mention the chain breaking. Fluidmaster use a metal chain, others use plastic.
My bung has never malfunctioned.

Take what Charnwood says with a BIG pinch of salt - he is a retailler (or counterboy) and has never fitted more than two of these in his life.

Seco on the other hand is a tradesman who has to go back and replace these things.

If a plumber fits something that is carp, the customer makes him go back and change it. Do we as plumbers bother to go back to the maerchants or just put it down to experience and not buy the rubbish again? We have all had to argue at the suppliers... you must have over tightened it... you have to write to the manus... we cannot refund without the original reciept... It just isn't worth our time

Take what Charnwood says with a BIG pinch of salt - he is a retailler (or counterboy) and has never fitted more than two of these in his life.
Distributor, not retailer. And as I've tried to explain previously to people who obviously don't take a blind bit of notice of anything anyone else says, I am not a counterboy. :rolleyes:

We sell hundreds of these per month. None get returned. We only sell dozens of syphons, very few of those being Turbo 88s. We only sell to trade outlets, our biggest customer being Graftons (Selco, Buildbase, Plumbase)
The figures speak for themselves.
(No doubt that will get twisted to suit your purpose.)

If you installer-types are willing to chuck 15 to 20 quid away when a product fails, more fools you!
Then again, your extortionate charges will cover such wastege, no doubt. Indeed, you probably build it into every charge you make. :evil:

Check that the translucent stopper by the piston assembly hasnt come out

Grum

If you installer-types are willing to chuck 15 to 20 quid away when a product fails, more fools you!
Then again, your extortionate charges will cover such wastege, no doubt. Indeed, you probably build it into every charge you make.

But you propose that we make more of the job (and have to charge accordingly) for a 5 minute job replacing with a Turbo 88 for what most of us would probably charge for the cost of a drink plus the part.

Distributor, not retailer.

Not like them b&q bods i hope.
fully trained - my ar*e in what ?
Not in plumbing i know that.
If I'm ever forced into B & Q I always have a wander down the plumbing aisle to see if the plumbing 'expert' is giving advice. I like a laugh.

Sadly, you'll not find many merchants with 'fully trained' staff nowadays either, especially the nationals.
Some of the questions I get asked are laughable.
Most have not got the intelegence, common sense or trade knowledge to work out a simple problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back