Making 20mm holes in Laminate boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a laminate floor and I have reached the row where I need to cut holes for radiator pipes. Hole drills are very expensive, especially as I will probably never need to use it again. What about 'flat drill bits', they are much cheaper. Would they work on laminate board, cutting a decent 20mm hole without doing too much damage to the 'wood' side(top). Has anyone had any experience with this and can let me know of their experience. I know a proper holesaw, with a guide drill bit is deffinately the best way to drill laminate board and will work for sure, but I really can't afford to buy one for a one off job, if I can avoid it.
Would really appreciate hearing from someone who has tried it and can tell me if a flat drill will work, or will it ruin the board

Sponsored Links
I know a proper holesaw, with a guide drill bit is deffinately the best way to drill laminate board and will work for sure, but I really can't afford to buy one for a one off job,

But a hole-saw is only going to cost a few quid ! If you can afford laminate, surely you can afford to fork out that ?

If you are careful a flat drill bit will work fine. I've used them many times on laminate with no problems.

Hi RR, thats just what I wanted to know. The previous post above yours(sorry didn't catch name) reckons that a holesaw is only a few quid. I wish that were true, I would go out and buy one right now. He was probably looking at just the part that does the actually cutting into the wood, or whatever your working with. You also need the part with the guide drill bit and the nut to screw the 'saw' bit onto. Is it called an 'Auger' or something like that. I'm not explaining this very well but I've been looking at loads of them on the net.
Where as a proper 'holesaw' is well in excess of £10, in fact quite a bit more, a flat drill bit that will cut a hole the same diameter, is well under £2, now that's a massive difference. If I thought that I could use it continually, as a chippy would, I wouldn't hesitate, but a thousand to one I wouldn't have a use for it again.
I will go and buy a flat drill bit and try it on an offcut of laminate just to ease my mind that it will not do any damage to the wood design, that chips off so easily.Also I will spend a bit more time to see if I can find someone who is selling a holesaw at an affordable price. On all the demo video's I've seen, they use holesaws, probably part of their existing tool kit. Thanks chaps!

Sponsored Links
I know a proper holesaw, with a guide drill bit is deffinately the best way to drill laminate board and will work for sure, but I really can't afford to buy one for a one off job,

But a hole-saw is only going to cost a few quid ! If you can afford laminate, surely you can afford to fork out that ?

Hi Mointainwalker,
I had to come back and let you know, I have just got back from doing the rounds of diy merchants looking for holesaws. Let me give you a typical example of what they cost. Homebase for eg' the actual cutting part with the teeth was £12.99 then their is the other part it fixes onto enabeling you to attach it to the drill, I recall it being called the 'arbour', anyway that part was £10.99. The bigger ones were much dearer. As you can see that adds up to £24. I wouldn't call that just, 'a few quid' to drill 2 holes. And by the way, the laminate flooring was much cheaper than carpet as I got it cheap from b&q because they had new lines coming in and sold all existing stock less than half normal price. Believe me mate, I have to watch every penny.Besides which, laminate flooring is ideal for asthma sufferers like me.

As you can see that adds up to £24. I wouldn't call that just, 'a few quid' to drill 2 holes.[/

I agree with you on that. I based my comment on my last purchase when i bought a cheap Chinese carrier and blades for less than GBP 5.

I wasn't looking for one at the time but thought i would use it (and do ) and bought it because it was cheap and ok for limited usage.

Apologies for basing my comment on my own ( untypical ) purchase.

Thanks misterh, that is what I meant. I hadn't considered the other type for a one-off job.

We all new what mointainwalker meant, django47 is not quite all there.

I knew what he meant, I do understand English. Maybe you didn't read the posts properly. In fact the gentleman replied and very kindly stated, in so many words, that he had possibly jumped the gun, so to speak. We both understood one another and unlike yourself sir, saw no need to be rude to get a point across. Also if you read my posts you will see that I apologised and admitted that I was not very good at explaining myself Still, if it makes you feel like a big man to just jump in and put someone down, I can live with that, but don't you think that it would be far more constructive to join in a topic and give some help and advice. No doubt you are a tradesman of some sort or another and have a lot to offer. I'm sorry if I have offended you, but I couldn't ignore your rude remark. As far as I'm concerned, the subject is closed.
PS. Did you know that the lead singer with Queen was a ravin' poof.

As you can see that adds up to £24. I wouldn't call that just, 'a few quid' to drill 2 holes.[/

I agree with you on that. I based my comment on my last purchase when i bought a cheap Chinese carrier and blades for less than GBP 5.

I wasn't looking for one at the time but thought i would use it (and do ) and bought it because it was cheap and ok for limited usage.

Apologies for basing my comment on my own ( untypical ) purchase.

Thank you very much for your reply. I hope that I wasn't rude or overbearing when I replied to you. In fact I do owe you an apology because I did in the end find a 'Holesaw' that was cheap. It was a 'Blackspur''. I bought it because it was a quarter the price of anywhere else, including ebay. Unfortunately it would not cut through the laminate board. The 'pilot' drill bit went through with some pressure but the actual 'saw' refused to go all the way. At least I have the 'arbor' and hopefully I can find a proper holesaw that will fit the shaft it bolts onto. If I was cutting into soft pine or plywood, it would have done the job I am sure. Like most things in this world, you get what you pay for.
I have found that nothing proves the truth of that saying more than a DIY project, especially for a learner like me.
Anyway thanks for the input and as I have a load of things to do (DIY) I will no doubt be asking lots of help and advice, you will be able to help and advise me on my future DIYing.
Best wishes,

django47(Micky)

If I find I need something on a job and it's not incredibly expensive, I tend to buy a reasonably good one, meaning it will last the next time I need it and after that.

I don't look at it as 'the cost of drilling 2 holes', but the use I will get out of it over the years and how much hassle it will save me to have a good quality one.

Ps. Take your drill out of reverse and it should cut no problem.

If I find I need something on a job and it's not incredibly expensive, I tend to buy a reasonably good one, meaning it will last the next time I need it and after that.

I don't look at it as 'the cost of drilling 2 holes', but the use I will get out of it over the years and how much hassle it will save me to have a good quality one.

Ps. Take your drill out of reverse and it should cut no problem.

Ha, ha, ha, I didn't realise i shouldn't leave it in reverse (sarcasm). If you read what I said, you would realise that I wouldn't be using those tools again. In fact I bought the drill in 1993 and this is the first time it's been charged up.
I don't see why I should have to explain myself to you, but you are like a dog with a bone and wont let it go, so I will.
In November '09 I was hit by a vehicle and broke nearly every bone in my body including my back. I also had internal injuries. I was in hospital for 5 months and right up till September'10 I was on crutches. All the time I am in really bad pain and rely on tablets. I am 64 years old and once I have got this place nice to live in, I just want to rest. Just doing the simplest task is hell, every inch of my body seems to hurt and it is very hard to do anything phhysical. But I can not afford to pay someone else to do these jobs. I was offered sheltered accomodation but I have been independant all my life and would rather be dead than have people doing everything for me. I am not incapable just yet, but will be glad of a long rest when I've finished. Also the reason I have to watch every penny is, since the accident I wasn't able to go back to work and rather than sponge off the state, I used my savings to live on, Rent, Gas, Electric, Water rates, Council tax, and all my other bills. Now I am skint and have to watch every penny. So to shell out twenty odd quid for something that will probably never be used again would be nothing short of foolhardy.
So before you make judgements about someone you should stop and think. Not everyone is in the same situation as you. Believe me, if I had a choice, I wouldn't be doing this diy, the fact that I am riddled with Arthritis doesn't help either and the open wounds that have turned into ulcers that refuse to heal, all make doing home diy something I cant wait to put behind me.
I hope this explains one or two points that you see fit to put me down, and if I may add, not face to face.

As far as I'm concerned, the subject is closed.
Hehe are you homophobic? I like being rude on a Forum its a good laugh.
Hi Freddy, good to see you still have a sense of humour. By the way, no I'm not Homeaphobic, in fact I have put lots of TLC into my home, and would love to spend time in friends homes but unfortunately I aint got no friends (will you be my friend).
Only kidding mate, have a good diy day and thanks for input,
Micky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back