yale hsa 6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question as I have just fitted one of these.

Havent fitted a door sensor to the front door as there isnt enough clearance between door and frame to fit sensor.Just tested alarm for first time and thought I could use the pir in hallway to set off alarm instead of door contact.
Set alarm with 30 second entry and exit delay went out then came back in to test and instead of giving me 30 seconds to enter code the alarm goes off straight away. the neighbours are gonna love me.

What am I doing wrong do I need to change anything in settings please?

Sponsored Links
Can't you mount it at the top of the door (horizontal)?

The orientation does not matter.

I cant see how to as there is only just over 1 cm around the door all the way round it was rather a tight fit by the looks of it.I have tried turning it all ways

Blimey, that's small.

If it has plasterboard reveal can't you use a chisel and make a suitable area for the contact, not forgetting you will have to remove to replace batts. in the future.

If this was a 'hard wired' system, no problem.

If you are feeling adventurous you could fit a 'concealed' 'wired' contact, run the cable to your contact and make the necessary connection there.

I'm sure I'll be slated for all this but one of the ideas might get you out of a problem.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply ,im hoping someone will tell me if its possible just to have the pir`s and no door contacts,otherwise I have just spent £200 for a couple of yale alarm boxes. Unfortunately there is no plasterboard around the door its all concrete or lintel at the top

It is beginning to sound like a fairly secure area, not a lot of access?

How about putting the Magnet on the frame and the Contact on the door?

If a heavy lot of use, I don't think this would be a good idea though.

The idea is to have the door operate the entry timer and the PIR operate with no delay time.

If window access is available the PIR wants to operate immediately, with no delay.

Get the idea?

Ok so now I am getting somewhere,both with the theory of the alarm and the fitting.

The main body of the door contact will just about fit on top of door and there is just enough room for the magnet to fit on the frame.But the way it will sit will mean the side of the magnet will be mating up with the top of the main body of the contact and not the side like in the fitting instructions is this a problem?

Also due to the probable pain the the ar*e of screwing into pvc (door and pvc capping on the frame) in your opinion would it be ok to use the sticky pads to affix

The main body of the door contact will just about fit on top of door and there is just enough room for the magnet to fit on the frame.But the way it will sit will mean the side of the magnet will be mating up with the top of the main body of the contact and not the side like in the fitting instructions is this a problem?

Also due to the probable pain the the ar*e of screwing into pvc (door and pvc capping on the frame) in your opinion would it be ok to use the sticky pads to affix
I hope I'm misunderstanding you, I mean fit the main body at the top of the door on the inside face magnet on the ceiling(?), spaced if necessary. again, I really don't think the orientation of the magnet will make any difference.

Tiny pilot hole, next size up screw, DO NOT USE THE PADS.

It does not matter if the sensor and magnet are at right angles to each other just as long as the magnet stays on the same 'long' edge of the sensor.
If there is around a 2-4mm gap.

You can tell if the sensor will work properly quite easily.

Put them in the position you think they will work and press the red learn button on the sensor.

Then open and shut the door carefully holding the sensor in place or simulate the door opening by holding the magnet where it would be if affixed in your hand and then moving it way from the sensor.

What you are looking for is the red light coming on when the magnet moves away and the red light switching off again when the magnet is where it would be when the door is shut.

I have a similar issue. Why is it not recommended to place the magnet on the frame and the contact on the door? Or is this a possible solution?

In very simple terms, slam the door, break the contact

If the door is a good fit and opens and closes without problems ie it isn't sticky and doesn't have to be rammed shut or tugged open as an absolute last resort the transmitter can be put on the moving door but as mentioned if someone slams the door it could break the sensor.

The other problem if you put a sensor onto the moving door or window is what if it opens outwards and then it gets rained on?

The sensors should be on the frame if possible.

I have even rebated door frames to accomodate the sensor with a chisel to prevent having to put the sensor on the moving door.

It does not matter if the sensor and magnet are at right angles to each other just as long as the magnet stays on the same 'long' edge of the sensor.
Have you any evidence to support that claim.

I ask because if the sensor is a normal reed switch then a significant part the magnetic flux from the operating magnet has to flow along the contacts in the switch to make them close.

If the operating magnet is at right angles to the reed switch then the percentage of flux that flows along the contacts is a very low percentage thus making the switch very much less sensitive to the presence or absence of the magnet. The risk of false "door open" events is there fore much increased as the magnet need only move a very small distance from the reed before it opens it contacts.

If the magnet is at a right angle to the reed switch and located at the contact gap then the flux in the switch contacts will be zero.

The only evidence I have Bernard is the continued operation of such set ups over the last few years without problems. As mentioned you can test wether it operates properly before deciding to fit it as the sensors indicator light lets you know whether the set up will work or not at the time of fitting.
There appears to be no deteriation over time.

Cheers guys both doors fitted and it works .Had to put the big item on the door on the front door as it was the only way it would fit.

Appreciate your help as it was pi55ing me off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back