how to hide tv cables in wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are getting a chimney breast closed up and plastered in a couple of weeks and want to mount a tv on it when finished. It would be good to have all the leads hidden. We dont have the new tv yet so were going to use the current one for now, but if we get all the leads buried what happens when we want to change tv's? Also the current tv has 3 leads plus a scart coming from it - is it tricky to bury a scart?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its not tricky to bury any cables as long as you adhere to electrical regulations

I didnt when I dont mine but I was none the wiser so eventually a re-do will put mine right

Work out the distance from your TV to you Sky/Virgin/Freeview box mine was 5 Metres, also consider putting in extra HDMI (Buy online from Aria literally buttons you will be surprised) if you have 2 HDMI the put 2 x HDMI into your wall, one could do your set top box other could do blue-ray or x-box etc...

also consider putting a d-sub cable if you ever want a PC in your living room to act as a media server basically your TV will be the PC monitor so downloading films play them full screen works sweet, if you do go down that route you will need to add some speakers to the mix, 5.1 PC speakers will set you back 50-100 quid if you go for the highly recommended

regarding changing your TV and will the leads suffice, tbh its a case of suck and see, the ports may be in diffirent locations on a different TV so may not reach once burried, even if you leave a lot of slack that could be too much and hang down below your TV

its not a big job to chisel the wall out, insulation tape around all cables so they are all together, then secure to the brick then fill over, will be years when you change TV so few hours work chasing the wires out and re-alligning them wont be too difficult

Heres mine showing TV PC and 5.1 speakers

Hope that helps

When I decided to mount my TV on the chimney breast I decided to install a permanent 240V socket as this would always be required, but to run the signal cables through conduit terminating at brushed faceplates to that new cables could be run when required. I currently have 2 HDMI cables, but have previously run network/USB/SCART/VGA cables (removing and reattaching the plugs from the SCART and VGA cables to get them through the conduit).

And don't forget to get the hight right, get it wrong and it will be a pain in the neck, literally.!!
Ideal hight should have centre of screen at you eye level.

Sponsored Links
And don't forget to get the hight right, get it wrong and it will be a pain in the neck, literally.!!
Ideal hight should have centre of screen at you eye level.

Mine isn't at eye level, and I love mine were it is

Was a bit wierd at first going from a black glass stand to on the wall but now it seems perfect!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back