Memera 2000 Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a 40 amp mcb and search as I may I cannot find a like for like replacement anywhere. Does it have to be a MEM 40 amp MCB (AB40SB)(Type B) or is there another make that will fit in this consumer unit? It's for a 9.5KW shower and I still have one slot available on the left of all the other MCB'S. See photo in my memera album.

Sponsored Links
I need to install a 40 amp mcb and search as I may I cannot find a like for like replacement anywhere. Does it have to be a MEM 40 amp MCB (AB40SB)(Type B) or is there another make that will fit in this consumer unit? It's for a 9.5KW shower and I still have one slot available on the left of all the other MCB'S. See photo in my memera album

I tried the fuse company and they dont seem to have exactly what I want which is why I posted here, tried ebay as well...

Please tell me that for some reason you removed the cover from the busbar to take the photographs and its not left like that all the time?

If you just searched their website you will need to speak to the fuse company as they don't keep all their stocks on the site.

Failing that its Ebay - methinks.

Or sometimes
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/index.htm

Sponsored Links
As above - although the AD range will also not fit (wider busbar on older boards, narrow jaws on AD range).

Please tell me that for some reason you removed the cover from the busbar to take the photographs and its not left like that all the time?

If you just searched their website you will need to speak to the fuse company as they don't keep all their stocks on the site.

Failing that its Ebay - methinks.

Or sometimes
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/index.htm[/QUOTE]

Cover for busbar and C/U was only removed for photo and replaced straight away. Every link for MEM brought up Eaton so have looked there as well, thanks.

I need to install a 40 amp mcb and search as I may I cannot find a like for like replacement anywhere. Does it have to be a MEM 40 amp MCB (AB40SB)(Type B) or is there another make that will fit in this consumer unit? It's for a 9.5KW shower and I still have one slot available on the left of all the other MCB'S. See photo in my memera album.

Second part of my question was: "Is it ok to use the empty slot on the left or do I hace to move all the 32A MCB's left one slot and fit in next to the other 40A MCB? I have updated my memera album with a few more photo's.

Just thought of something else to ask, as you do. The 40 amp fuse comes with a 6kA, 10kA and 15kA rating and I read somewhere recently that the 6kA trips fewer times than the 10kA. Which would be best for a shower?

Second part of my question was: "Is it ok to use the empty slot on the left or do I hace to move all the 32A MCB's left one slot and fit in next to the other 40A MCB? I have updated my memera album with a few more photo's.
I was always taught to have the highest rated MCB/fuse etc nearest to the main switch or RCD in this case.

I was always taught to have the highest rated MCB/fuse etc nearest to the main switch or RCD in this case.
I imagine we all probably were. It makes sense, and I presume that's what most of us usually do when starting afresh (i.e. it is 'good practice'), but I doubt whether it makes much difference in practice - the busbars are sufficiently meaty that I rather doubt that there is a significant voltage drop or heat production even if one puts the highest load at the furthest point from the supply.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back