Rotten Floor Joists in Bathroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All..
I've just bought an old farm house.. and it has some major rot under the floor in the bathroom..

I'm attaching a picture.. obviously there has been some repair in the past but they didnt correct the problem.. you'll see in the picture the red joists are FULLY rotten and can not support any weight whatsoever..
the previous owner obviously tried to correct this by adding cross joists for support.. well they are rotten now..

my question is how in the world can i fix this?

my plan is (i'm no builder, but i'm fairly handy) to remove ALL the rot.. I may even need to support other areas of the house while I remove what is effectively 10% of the subfloor & joists.. the home is only 800 sq ft.

Another thing is, he wall (that does not have the bathtub on it) has rot underneath it, as well as the room next door..

i'm not sure how far the rot goes, but I'm thinking about 6-7 feet of the joists (4 or 5 of them) will need to be replaced..

any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
my question is how in the world can i fix this?

i'm not sure how far the rot goes, but I'm thinking about 6-7 feet of the joists (4 or 5 of them) will need to be replaced..

any help would be greatly appreciated

As you've realised, they need replacing. There's too little information to give any further advice than that, eg is it ground floor, first floor, supporting walls, length of joists, etc.

As for help, well I'm really busy and you're a bit far away for me.

you have to first determine what caused the fungal damage: excess moisture, lack of ventilation etc. are termites present?.

if you wish i'll take you thro the process. pics would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back