buying brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to buy some bricks for a garage. Approx. 3m by 5m and standard height with apex roof. Can anyone suggest how much i should expect to pay for the brick? And ways of getting the brick at the right price?

thanks

please note 9

Sponsored Links
I should think any bricks you fancy is the same price in the UK, I know if you buy a 1000 bricks it can sometime work out cheaper than if you buy say 800 bricks.

Ordinary bricks are about 30-40 pence each,if bought individually,cheaper when bought in larger quantities.
As Masona said,may be cheaper to buy more than you need - they are often sold in pallets of 440 or 452.
Single-skin brickwork is 60 bricks per square metre,obviously double it for cavity wall/double thickness.And add about 5% for breakages.
And depending on where your garage is to be built (detached or adjoining) I think it is important to get the right type of brick - if you can,take a spare brick to your local builders merchants,who will probably have a "brick library" to match them with (e.g. most bricks now are 65 mm in height,mine are 73 mm)

just remember, if using 73mm bricks allow 50 per sq/m

also,the most important thing in my opinion as a bricklayer for the past 24years is that they match in with the exisitng as much as possible,its worth paying that bit extra for something that is the same/doesnt look too different

Sponsored Links
The crux of this is that you don't just go and buy "some bricks" ..... there are literally hundreds of different types and styles and for different purposes.

Go to a merchants and look for the ones you like or need to match the house or whatever, and get a price!

If you are cutting an apex, then get ones easy to cut. If you are painting the inside, then get ones with a smooth back.

When you've selected the bricks, you say "I want these at the right price, or I will buy them elsewhere"

Then when you've haggled the merchant down to rock bottom price, expect the bricks not to be delivered on time, days late, and with loads of broken ones when the forklift has bashed them about when loading :rolleyes:

Its not just about price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back