Sealing Termalite Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a rear kitchen extension built which was built out of thermalite block. It has been rendered all except one side due to the access between my neighbours similar extension. At the time of build I did mention to my builder to build this side with brick so I dont have to render / treat it. They ignored this and built it using block instead. The gap between the walls is about 3 feet so very difficult to render. I have been advised I can use bitumen paint and just roll it straight over the block. Is this a good idea? Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
3ft! Get them to render it, you have some leverage if they should have done it in brick. If it can't be seen it doesn't have to be perfect and will look much better than bitumen.

how high have you got to render? i think 3ft is wide enough if you havent got to go up to high, can it be done on a hop up? 3ft seems ample if its not a high wall

haha 3 ft the lazy litle tykes ive renderd in more confined spaces between houses in fact scrub that i pebble dashed in a tighter space between houses i think it was about12 ft up all i did was lean a ladder on the wall of the house not the extension ans havd a band stand at the open end with a long board or 2 on top of eachother to span the weight a bit.

Sponsored Links
Sorry it looks like I over estimated the space available here. I checked it again and its more like 1.5ft. Height goes up to about 9/10 ft.

The other option I thought about was cladding but then it seemed ashame to go to the effort when no one can see it. We are hoping to move house soon so it wouldnt bother me personally but I of course want to make sure it is weather tight and finished before we sell later in the year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back