Mice in the caravan

• Thread starter RedHerring2
  • Start date
R

RedHerring2

Not really a DIY disaster, but a catastrophe, none the less.
Left here last september to start the extension back home over the winter.
Done all the usual things and a bit more, like turning off the gas bottles, electric, water & emptied the pipes. Also moved some stuff into the house, like books, clothes, etc.
All covered over with dust sheets.
Caravan locked down for the winter, even though it's in the garage.

Arrived back here on monday, opened up the garage door and found a lot of polystyrene beads on the floor, just inside the door. I thought the wind must have blown them in, under the door.

Opened up the caravan and it looked like the vandals had been in there. Imagine urine and faeces all over the place, even graffiti on the walls. Well it wasn't quite like that but as good as. Or should that be as bad as?

It looks like the mice had been throwing a party in there for the last six months. Anything that was chewable has been chewed. Any paper material has been chewed to make nests. Even the labels on the bottles had been knawed.
And the smell, it was like a zoo, like the elephant house.

I'd left the electric hook-up connected and the little blighters must have climbed up the cable and in that way.

Anyway, four days later, everything is stripped out, all back to hard surfaces. All the crap cleaned up. The electrics repaired.

Just got to continue with the cleaning of the hard surfaces now. the smell is subsiding gradually, but I've not discounted writing off the caravan yet.

There have been a couple of hilarious moments though, when 'er indoors told me that the mice had eaten her arthritis tablets and pain killers. And they'd tried her Feng Shui book. I'll leave the imagination of the reader to run riot for this one.

Fortunately the house was dry, secure and reasonably clean, just as we left it. So a vacuum round upstairs and we've made up a bed up there, so we're getting ship shape slowly.
Trouble is I can't continue work in the house until we can move back into the garage. If I write off the caravan I'm going to have to build a bedroom, i.e. wall and ceiling, etc.which was in the grand longer-term scheme of things anyway, but just not yet.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back