Support brackets in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wanted to know if someone could let me know what the brackets in my loft are for?

I've recently bought a house and would like to board the floor of the loft out (once the CH and electrics have been done), but these brackets sit a good 3" higher than the highest beam. If possible, I'd like to change these for lower profile brackets (but appreciate that these are probably supporting the ceiling below. With these in place, the only way I can think of getting the floor level will be to fix 4x4 pieces of wood in the opposite direction of the beams to bring everything to the same height?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like a ceiling binder has been reinforced probably due to fatigue or inadequate section size.

Looking more closely, this appears to be where the joists may have been joined onto a wall below that has since been removed, mebbe?

Looks to me like a ceiling binder has been reinforced probably due to fatigue or inadequate section size.

Looking more closely, this appears to be where the joists may have been joined onto a wall below that has since been removed, mebbe?

Reckon you're right... the house was extended about 30 years ago and the walls upstairs are almost all plasterboard, so makes perfect sense that this is reinforcement for a brick wall which was removed. Out of interest, is there any way I can replace them for something lower profile? Or is building up the height of the other beams my only option?

Yes they to support the joists to the beam, I guess they aren't being supported underneath.

I'd leave well alone if I were you, yes there are things you could do but it's possible you could get movement and cracking of ceiling below.

Why can't you just board out ethier side and leave them where they are, unless you want to make it liveable...then its not as easy as that.

Those are ceiling joists and wont support a living area.

You need more insulation btw..

Sponsored Links
Cheers.

I'll probably want to make it a liveable room at some stage, but before that I have to redecorate every room (inc 2 bathrooms, central heating replacement, kitchen, probably build a summerhouse etc...). I guess to do that I'll need to put RSJs in and build a floor on top of them?

Good call on the insulation, I'll put some in before I board out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back