Downlights yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are your opinions on downlights. A few to highlight pictures etc ok, or better to not make a 'cheeseboard ' of the ceiling? In a few years time will they be looked upon as a fad?

I was thinking of four on each side of the ceiling and two in the bay and a pendant also. Opinions please most welcome.

Sponsored Links
What are your opinions on downlights. A few to highlight pictures etc ok, or better to not make a 'cheeseboard ' of the ceiling? In a few years time will they be looked upon as a fad?

I was thinking of four on each side of the ceiling and two in the bay and a pendant also. Opinions please most welcome.

I do not like downlights as primary lighting but I see you are going to use a pendant too which is a good thing in my opinion.

In my personal opinion downlights as primary lighting do not illuminate a room well. An occasional downlight to highlight a feature/painting great.

Even then I would not use halogen, they run hot, not efficient, higher risk of fire and have a short life span. I would use CFL or LED. Dimming LEDs and CFLs gets expensive - at least at the moment

Well they have been around a long time now and do'nt seem to be losing their popularity.
Gimballs are particularly suited as picture lights and are discreet and effective. Dimmable down lighters do create a pleasing atmosphere if you get it right.
The holes in the ceiling is the price you pay I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately the cfls are not as small as id like, I wa aiming for 35wattage to keep them small. Are LEDs available in this size and are they silly prices? Yes I was thinking just a few, two on one side to hilight pictures but then id have to have two on the other to match?

unfortunately the cfls are not as small as id like, I wa aiming for 35wattage to keep them small. Are LEDs available in this size and are they silly prices? Yes I was thinking just a few, two on one side to hilight pictures but then id have to have two on the other to match?

Have a look at these CFLs. You will also find LED downlights on the same site.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD11C.html

Have a look at these CFLs. You will also find LED downlights on the same site.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD11C.html[/QUOTE]

PS, they have made a typo on that page. It is not a GU10 LED lamp. It is a GU10 CFL. They do have a reasonable range of LED downlights though.

Proble with these is the cut out size. Im after d/l's that are not too intrusive. The halogens are available in a 35w 'invisible' range that blend in with the ceiling. These are very discrete. Maybe leds would come into place for these fittings one day?

I was looking round a house with a friend that he was considering buying - it had been bought by someone who had done it up, and they'd clearly replastered the ceilings, and then lit *every* room with loads of downlights - in the (quite small) lounge alone there was 400W worth, and I think if he'd put all of them on he'd probably be burning away about 1.5 - 2kW!

I pointed out to my friend quite how much it was going to cost him to light the place - the estate agent tried to counter "but they're low voltage and energy efficient", and was quite annoyed when I then explained to him why they're not efficient at all when put in like this!

the estate agent tried to counter "but they're low voltage and energy efficient"

Unfortunately, that seems to be the idea that a lot of laymen have been left with after all the hype about "efficient low-voltage lighting." Like the person I remember some time back who wouldn't accept that the 200 watts of 12V lighting fittings in his hall were costing more to run than the regular 60W 240V lamp they'd replaced. "But they're low voltage!"

Well his bills would have told him the truth...

I'm sure it's now got to the stage where more buyers will be put off a house because it has downlights than will be put off because it doesn't...

Interesting views. Yes Im thinking about when/if I do sell also. Some may like them, but will most think hih leccy bills!

Im swaying towards not having them.
MAybe just a couple in the bedroom bays as a feature and thats it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back