Doepke board - can Protek be fitted in them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having difficulty finding any local supplied of Doepke rcbo's and I won't know if I need 32 or 20A until I've tested the circuits to establish if indeed rings. Are Protek made by the same bunch and if so does anyone know if they fit the boards?

Thanks

SB

Sponsored Links
Hi SB, long time no speak...

Protek are based in Cannock and Doepke are in Daventry. I think Doepke's parent company is German, whereas Protek are British.

I don't think they fit.

Give Doepke a ring to ask who their stockists are.

01628 829 133.

Hager MCB's and RCBOs will fit Doepke boards, the latest type with the wide light grey lever.

3504499328674040_1.jpg

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Will give them a call and have Hager as plan B

Cheers

SB

Sponsored Links
no, course it ain't!

However, I have now tracked down a stockist not tooooo far away so can get the Dopey ones

Thanks all

SB

Is that permitted by the manufacturer's instructions
I dont know and don't care! They fit perfectly. The dist board is just a box with din rail on it.
Well said! I really think that BS7671 (and other standards/regulations)ought to find some way to avoid being an accomplice to restrictive practices by manufacturers. In other words, it should find a way to distinguish between MIs which are there for good engineering/safety reasons, and those which are there primarily to increase the manufacturer's sales!

... or, even better, why not have a BS which insists on physical compatibility between MCBs? The first time, many years ago, I discovered that they were not all interchangeable, I was quite astonished and shocked!

Kind Regards, John.

I think so long as one understands that forcing the wrong type of mcb into a board (for example one with subtle height differences in the terminals) could make it split or stress the internal components compromising its performance, and you can ascertain that a replacement mcb is exactly the same from that point of view, then you'll be ok.

I have plenty of experience of the Doepke 3-phase uk built boards and fitted Hager as a result of the local distributor dropping Doepke as a product line after we'd bought the boards and needed new breakers. One of these boards I updated for RCBO's at a later date and after raiding the stores found the Hager NCN and ADN breakers a perfect match. In fact the Doepke mcbs are made of a very brittle plastic and I've had a few develop cracks; something the Hager ones dont do. I might even say they're an improvement!

I think so long as one understands that forcing the wrong type of mcb into a board (for example one with subtle height differences in the terminals) could make it split or stress the internal components compromising its performance, and you can ascertain that a replacement mcb is exactly the same from that point of view, then you'll be ok.
In common sense terms, I don't think anyone can disagree with that - although the pedants would presumably still say that is was strictly non-compliant with BS7671 if the MI had indicated that only their own MCBs should be used.

Of course, per my previous post, those 'subtle (or not-so-subtle!) height differences in the terminals' really should not exist, and I remain somewhat amazed that standards have not imposed consistency upon them.

Kind Regards, John.

It isn't just a british standard you have to contend with, MCBs are to a European Standard EN60898.

My opinion is that I would hate to see something like a Chint MCB shoved in a nice MG board :mad:
At least when you install a consumer unit with the same manufacturers MCBs you know it has been fully type tested.

My opinion is that I would hate to see something like a Chint MCB shoved in a nice MG board :mad:

I've seen a MCG (ever heard of them) RCBO jammed in a MG board... the shocking thing about it all which would make me steer clear of the three letter brands is that this particular example continued to pass current even when switched off!, the trip button worked fine and the device moved to the off position but the circuit remained on (and it wasn't being backfed as moving the MG 'Iso-bar' across made the outgoing side dead

At least when you install a consumer unit with the same manufacturers MCBs you know it has been fully type tested.
Yes, but that type testing, which is what is being used as an excuse for the restricted practices, would become a complete joke if standards for MCBs insisted that they had to conform to dimensional standards (of terminal positioning, as well as casing and fixings) - after all, as per the comment which started this tangent, a 'CU' is nothing more than a plastic box with a DIN rail in it!

Kind Regards,John.

John, consumer units are type-tested to BS EN 60439-3 (soon to become BS EN 61439-3). Each reputable manufacturer knows what his own manufacturing tolerances are and does enough testing to ensure that any of his MCBs will meet the performance and heat rise requirements when fitted to any of his enclosures. When another manufacturer copies either the enclosure or the MCB, or both, there is no assurance that the tolerances are met, and no type testing is done on the combination of products from different manufacturers. It is not a restrictive practice, it is simply good engineering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back