DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Extension costs

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwhalley

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:55 am Reply with quote

Hi,
I am planning a new extn of approx 4x4 mtrs, with a flat roof. Can anyone give a ball park figure for the cost to have it built. I will be supplying windows and a door so these need not be included. As far as I know there are no unforeseen problems such as drains in the way. If not a typical cost a cost per square mtr would help. Just so I know what to budget.

Thanks in advance

Paul
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:31 am Reply with quote

I guess that there are too many variants to give you an answer, i.e what part of the country are you in, is it a local company doing the work, or is it a big company?

Best advice is to get at least 3 quotes, and ask to go and see some previous work and see which person you feel "comfortable with" also see if they are registerd with a professional body, then ask at your local trading standards office have they heard of xxxx builders
 Alert Moderators
nstreet

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:18 am Reply with quote

We had an extension built 18mths ago. 2m x 6m single storey, flat roof, no electrical work, no plumbing, double glazed patio door, kitchen door 1 window. Coast was approx 11k. The labour rate for the builders was between 100 - 120 per day. It took 6-7 weeks.

icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
Plumber Will

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:04 pm Reply with quote

I am in the North east just completed a bedroom bathroom extension (over the kitchen) 6m x 4m. Materials 3500 bricklayers 1200. Roofers 200 (flat roof). Plasterer 360 Electrician 120. Planning and other fees building regs etc...650.00 two d/g windows 300......Plumbing would have been 450 two radiators and a bathroom suite plumbed in so all in all..... less than 7000.00
 Alert Moderators
OnlyAsking...

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:55 am Reply with quote

does anyone have any guidelines regading costs if your having a loft conversion done.?? I live in an average size semi, and was wondering how much I should budget..? is it the same as a extension on the ground floor?
comments apprieciated
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:47 am Reply with quote

Loft conversion is a lot cheaper than extension as the biggest cost is the groundwork with footing etc.
Best to get a few quotes but a architect will give you a rough guide.A lot depends on your ceiling span for joists size or RSJ instead which will have to have stress load calculation and if some part of central heating system need to be move and spiral stairs are cheaper than stairscase,so all depend what you want done.
 Alert Moderators
GwaiLo

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:58 am Reply with quote

I have had people ask for cost advice in the past (I am a Chartered Building Surveyor and Corporate Building Engineer) and have suggested that they try the service offered by Travis Perkins try here The estimates I have seen tend to be pretty accurate.

However, I'd also suggest you talk to a building surveyor or architect as there is often more to building an extension or loft conversion than meets the eye, indeed there are frequently matters that even experienced builders would be unable to advise about (and I am not knocking builders, I have a lot of respect for good ones).

Just as an example you may have to consider the implications of the Party Wall Etc, Act which could easily add a couple of thousand pounds to your project costs. This Act would apply if you are doing any work to a Party Wall or are excavating anywhere near a neighbouring building. I work mainly in London and Surrey and reckon that the Act applies in at least 75% of the extensions/conversions I design and manage.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: