Extension costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning a new extn of approx 4x4 mtrs, with a flat roof. Can anyone give a ball park figure for the cost to have it built. I will be supplying windows and a door so these need not be included. As far as I know there are no unforeseen problems such as drains in the way. If not a typical cost a cost per square mtr would help. Just so I know what to budget.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
I guess that there are too many variants to give you an answer, i.e what part of the country are you in, is it a local company doing the work, or is it a big company?

Best advice is to get at least 3 quotes, and ask to go and see some previous work and see which person you feel "comfortable with" also see if they are registerd with a professional body, then ask at your local trading standards office have they heard of xxxx builders

We had an extension built 18mths ago. 2m x 6m single storey, flat roof, no electrical work, no plumbing, double glazed patio door, kitchen door 1 window. Coast was approx £11k. The labour rate for the builders was between £100 - £120 per day. It took 6-7 weeks.

:)

I am in the North east just completed a bedroom bathroom extension (over the kitchen) 6m x 4m. Materials £3500 bricklayers £1200. Roofers £200 (flat roof). Plasterer £360 Electrician £120. Planning and other fees building regs etc...£650.00 two d/g windows £300......Plumbing would have been £450 two radiators and a bathroom suite plumbed in so all in all..... less than £7000.00

Sponsored Links
does anyone have any guidelines regading costs if your having a loft conversion done.?? I live in an average size semi, and was wondering how much I should budget..? is it the same as a extension on the ground floor?
comments apprieciated

Loft conversion is a lot cheaper than extension as the biggest cost is the groundwork with footing etc.
Best to get a few quotes but a architect will give you a rough guide.A lot depends on your ceiling span for joists size or RSJ instead which will have to have stress load calculation and if some part of central heating system need to be move and spiral stairs are cheaper than stairscase,so all depend what you want done.

I have had people ask for cost advice in the past (I am a Chartered Building Surveyor and Corporate Building Engineer) and have suggested that they try the service offered by Travis Perkins try here The estimates I have seen tend to be pretty accurate.

However, I'd also suggest you talk to a building surveyor or architect as there is often more to building an extension or loft conversion than meets the eye, indeed there are frequently matters that even experienced builders would be unable to advise about (and I am not knocking builders, I have a lot of respect for good ones).

Just as an example you may have to consider the implications of the Party Wall Etc, Act which could easily add a couple of thousand pounds to your project costs. This Act would apply if you are doing any work to a Party Wall or are excavating anywhere near a neighbouring building. I work mainly in London and Surrey and reckon that the Act applies in at least 75% of the extensions/conversions I design and manage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back