CCTV Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help me.
I need to gather some evidence on a nightmare neighbour who is throwing stuff over the fence and into my garden. Police are involved etc to a certain degree and i need to get some evidence of him actually doing the deed (more for peice of mind than anything else).
I have a loft extension and was thinking of rigging something up to the inside of the lof looking down at the garden to catch him but dont know what to do, the cheaper the better really.
I need it to record continuously 24/7 so it would need a fair bit of space.
Camcorders are out because of this although would be a better solution.
DVRs would probably work but not sure whether you can mount the cam on a tripod etc (i guess you can).
Would a DVR be able to record that amount of data? What size would i be looking at for this, just need one camera (what type) and one DVR
Really want this as cheap as possible
WOuld a webcam be suitable? is about 80 feet in length but not sure whether you can record with these thing?
Please help
Lee

Sponsored Links
Cheap and long distance recording = nope.
Thought of lighting conditions?
Facial recognition?

I am currently looking at a wireless version (4 cameras) with a DVR 500Gb.
Anyone know how long 500Gb would last if it was on 24/7. Looks like this one can to 50fps which has to be distributed amogst the cameras ie 2 at 14fps and 2 at 11fps.
I just want to know how long this would last space wise.
Thanks

I reckon (from an online calculator) that 4 cameras recording at 14fps, 24 hours a day would take up 150GB per week which means that a 500gb drive would be able to store at least 3 weeks before it overwrites itself
Does that sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Most of these camera's only record when there is motion.

(they have a pir inside them) so you are not burning hard discs for the fun of it

You will be fine with the distance,

As they have night vision in them, you can see the little red glow of the led's next to the lens

@mryoung
Not quite, they are imported direct from the manufacture and sold at trade prices :)

Hi
I asked the manufacturer about these and they say that because they have IR, if they are situated inside a window there will be reflections etc. Asked if they have a different one that has no IR because there are security lights detecting motion etc.
Not sure if there is such a thing though.
This system i was looking at was £330 with all 4 wireles cams (cmos) and dvr

Apparently you can take the block off the IRs which is handy

Does it sound like a half decent deal? I think it would work

(they have a pir inside them) so you are not burning hard discs for the fun of it

As they have night vision in them, you can see the little red glow of the led's next to the lens

Ehh?
The cameras are on all the time, the dVR if set up for motion detection then record when needed.
They do not have a PIR inside them.
The distance for detailed evidence is too far for cheap tat.

Where did you get this info you state?

Also with cheap tat IR isnt good.
You would need supplemental lighting.

Its too far feteched even for them.

80 foot, 20 ft angle 12.5 mm lens. with seperate IR or Sodium would do it.
With 3 other cams @ 12FPS ( more isnt worth it for domestic). Of course you would want D1 res for distance recording with some sort of chance of facial.
500GB would be fine, a terabite would be far better.

But what do we know?

Cameras do not record, DVD writers and similar do the recording.

Very few if any cameras have a PIR built in.

But the picture quality (in terms of resolution and ability to expand to get a clear un-pixilated image of a face or other feature ) may not be be fine enough

And the point of that is ?

A good system will continuously record into a temporary file and when a picture analysis program detects a significant change in the image then recording to a permanent file starts and the temporary file holding maybe 5 or 10 minutes recording before the change occured is copied to a permanent file.

I got the info on disk space from http://www.dvrsystems.net/CCTV Hard Drive Space Calculator.htm

The company i am looking at getting this from reckons 4 days continuous recording at the highest quality, double for half etc

Regarding the quality, not too much of an issue, i just want to be able to see things that have been thrown into the garden (with my eyes) and then be able to review the footage and see what the person is up to.

On the PIR bit, there are security lights outside so any movement will trigger those to go on, if i miss then so be it. Ultimately these cameras will be on the outside but not at the moment

I am by no means and expert, just asking the questions and seeing if this seems like a decent deal. If the cameras are inside, would there be an issue with motion detection? I would assume that there would be which is why i mentioned the 24/7 recording

I think my budget on this one is aroud the £300 mark

Feel free to give me some ideas on what i should be looking for and whether this is possible or not.

4 cams (wireless) to be situated inside looking out. Darkness not a problem as security lighting will do the job. IR might be an issue if inside re reflection from glass but it appears that this can be turned off either by taking the cam apart and removing a block or electronically

DVR to record, 4 days is fine to be honest. I assume that you can upgrade the HD in these things should i require more space

Thats about it

Lee

DVR and wireless now for £300.00

Nope.

PS @H264 4 cams @ 6FPS would record for 31 days on a 250GB hard drive.

Still not for £300.00 though. I would not spend less than £300 on a DVR, let alone a kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back