Tall oven housing - space at the sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've purchased a second hand kitchen which has two tall housing units - side by side....in one unit there is a single oven and a microwave/oven combi.

I'd like to place this unit into the corner with the other tall unit next to it (followed by a run of units) but I've read somewhere (Wickes site I think) that a tall oven housing needs 300mm work suface adjacent to it. My tall oven housing would be in the corner with a wall on one side and the other tall housing unit on the other side. ...

wall - 60cm base - 60cm base - 60cm base - tall larder unit - tall oven unit - wall

I'd rather not swap around the larder and oven units as the larder unit has a finished panel down the left hand side which you will see.

The hob is not on this run of units. I have clear space to open the oven door, space to stand etc etc but really need to know about the 300mm minimum work surface. Does the oven housing unit need this space to prevent heat build up?

If all fails, I'll remove the 60x60cm oven and place it under the hob like I had before!

Thanks in advance for any help
x

Sponsored Links
A tall oven unit can be where you like it to be, they may say it is advisable, cant think why.
As long as the housing unit is secure & the appliance is fitted as per instructions.

Some of these instructions are to do with radiating the heat from the oven and cavity. Another tall unit beside it could help to insulate the sides of the oven so preventing it from dissipating heat (some wood units actually get warm to the touch by the side of the oven).

You have to go by the instructions for the actual oven rather than generic information as they have specific set limits ie gaps at the back, vents, etc.

Sponsored Links
Some of these instructions are to do with radiating the heat from the oven and cavity. Another tall unit beside it could help to insulate the sides of the oven so preventing it from dissipating heat (some wood units actually get warm to the touch by the side of the oven).

You have to go by the instructions for the actual oven rather than generic information as they have specific set limits ie gaps at the back, vents, etc.

The cabinet is kept cools by chimney effect of the oven, not from the side of the cabinet. (I've not explained that v well).
The safety specification has a limit on the temperature of the exterior of the cabinet that the appliance is fitted in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back