optima xm 6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been asked to assist in a local Scout Group extension with the mains wiring which is not a problem, but the spec I have drawn up involves the new building to be added to the existing XM6 alarm. I have downloaded a manual but need some advise on how to disable the system so that I can open the cover to look inside and suss out what colours have been used for tamper and monitoring. If I enter the engineer code will this disable the tamper circuit. Also has anyone got an idiots guide on how to wire this up, what is the best door/window magnets to install and can I use 4 core BT wire as I have a lot of this.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No you must use at least 6 core alarm cable, its at most £20 a drum so dont cut corners.

Also (one of my pet hates) do not cobble together multiple sensors on zones, its against BS to start with, and its a mine field if the alarm ever triggers when you have 10 PIRS hanging off it with no latch....

Easiest way for you prog customer code, tamp led should enable, that should suffice for the lid to be removed.

If 6 zones are used, its timer for a bigger panel.

As above assist in having a bigger newer panel fitted.
Veritas would be good for you an Excall being the best option.

Thanks for the replies, I have opened the doors and windows and all 6 zones are in use so it looks like a new panel is required then from the advise been given. As it is a new panel would the easiest way be to go wireless or to fit a new panel purely for the extension.
What is the problem then of fitting multiple switches for each zone. I know the Scout committee will ask when I drop the bombshell of a new panel.
Thanks again.
Jack

Sponsored Links
Wireless is fine.
So is a new hard wired.

Multiple detectors on the same zone if not latching are difficult to identify (or impossible) when triggered.

try to stick to a wired system, as you already have a wired ssytem, its just a matter of moving all the connections over to a new panel,
and adding new devices as well.

just my opinion, as this is what we would do, and have done in the past.

Oasis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back