Yale 6400 query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I set the alarm to home only using the key fob.
I came down this morning but forgot to switch the alarm off using the keyfob.
The alarm sounded and I tried to switch it off at the control panel but it would not switch it off.
I pressed the green unlock key and then inserted the code, several times but it did not stop the alarm.
I then got the keyfob and pressed the unlock button and it did stop the alarm.
Is is faulty?
It has been working perfectly for about two months but I have never tried to switch off an alarm set with the keyfob using the control panel before.

Sponsored Links
No the alarm isn't faulty.

When you set the alarm using the keyfob you cannot unset the alarm with the keyfob unless your entry device is activated and the timer is ticking down.
You also cannot unset a sounding activated alarm with the keyfob.
(I note you said you did however)

The fact that the alarm would not stop using the control panel is probably more down to panic.
Its very noisy and it can make you rush the process.

Green followed by your code should usually turn off the alarm you just have to make sure you are being deliberate with the keys.

If you rush you may not properly press the buttons.

I presume you got it to disarm and silence before it stopped anyway due to its time setting.

Did you see the alarm alarm alarm dislay on the lcd display?

No the alarm isn't faulty.

When you set the alarm using the keyfob you cannot unset the alarm with the keyfob unless your entry device is activated and the timer is ticking down.
You also cannot unset a sounding activated alarm with the keyfob.
(I note you said you did however)

The fact that the alarm would not stop using the control panel is probably more down to panic.
Its very noisy and it can make you rush the process.

Green followed by your code should usually turn off the alarm you just have to make sure you are being deliberate with the keys.

If you rush you may not properly press the buttons.

I presume you got it to disarm and silence before it stopped anyway due to its time setting.

Did you see the alarm alarm alarm dislay on the lcd display?

I did set the alarm with the keyfob and I did stop the alarm souding with the keyfob.
I know that it states in the instructions that it's not possible to do that.
I understand what you say about making errors but I'm pretty sure I inserted the correct code.
I will test it on another day, as I have already woken up the neighbours once this morning.
Yes, I did see the alarm alarm alarm on the display and it did phone out the correct number after about 20 seconds.

edit:
I have now tried the alarm with the siren delay switched on for five minutes. It operates exactly as it should,as specified in the manual.
However, I am sure that when I couldn't get the alarm to stop sounding this morning by using the control panel ( whether I made a mistake or not ) I did go upstairs, get the keyfob and I did use it to stop the alarm.

Sponsored Links
ALARM could be correct.

If you have set a pir as an entry device then the fob will work to unset the alarm.

There should be no specifics as you mention ie if you set with fob you have to unset with fob.

You should be able to set and unset with any combination. setting with fob should be unsettable with the panel.

You activated the entry route, hence the fob worked.
The only device working as entry is the door contact on my front door, and I definitely didn't open that. The alarm was activated by a PIR in the living room downstairs, which is on the home/away circuits. I will set the alarm with the fob later today, then deliberately start an alarm by activating a PIR in the house. I will then try to unset/stop the alarm sounding by using the control panel ( while wearing ear defenders) and will let you know the result.

ALARM could be correct.

If you have set a pir as an entry device then the fob will work to unset the alarm.

There should be no specifics as you mention ie if you set with fob you have to unset with fob.

You should be able to set and unset with any combination. setting with fob should be unsettable with the panel.
This morning I set the alarm at the control panel , went out , returned and waited until the alarm sounded. I incorrectly entered the code twice because of the noise/confusion of the alarm and then realised you are right in that I may have done the same previously, but that doesn't explain why I was able to unset a sounding alarm with the key fob-no great concern. My main worry was that if I set the alarm and then asked someone without a keyfob to unset it they could have problems.
I'll check it again - but I think the neighbours would appreciate a rest and also the problem crying wolf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back