Citroen immobiliser issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Berlingo van, 56 plate, 30k which has the bog standard DW8 1.9 diesel - no HDi, turbo or anything. Its the base model.
Over the last 2 weeks it has a starting issue, but only (so far) when the engine is hot.
Example - drive for 45 minutes, stop motor, try to restart after 5 mins - the engine cranks over fine, all dash lamps are on but it won't fire up.
Leave it for 10 mins and it comes back to life. Again so far it has not failed when driving. It has failed to start on 3 occasions now.
It feels to me as if the vehicle isn't recognising its transponder key (no plip locking or anything) for some reason.
There is no external fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump.
Has anyone any theories? As the elephant said, 'I'm all ears'. :p
Cheers and good evening everyone
John :)

Sponsored Links
if it has the transponder ring around the ignition barrel these do play up but i would have thought that would fail when its hot or cold
Crank sensor is my best guess breaking down when hot?

I'm going to pop the column shrouds off for a look around soon - as far as I know, this motor doesn't have a crank sensor (never looked for one though).
At the moment I'm carrying my spare key and wondering whats next.
Its bloomin' difficult to sort problems like this. :confused:
John :)

my dad has a similar issue on his mazda 323, runs fine for weeks but one day you will go out to it and try to start it and it wont fire.
got a feeling its the immobiliser and there isnt much he can do about it as its a coded system, a visit to mazda would cost as much as the car!

Sponsored Links
Update:
Fitted a new crankshaft sensor today - and looking good so far.
Cautiously optimistic, and cheers for the tip ch427 ;)
John :D

Still looking good so far :p
I've never had an intermittent failure on a crank sensor so still very happy to learn!

I thought I'd play safe, and fit the genuine Citroen part. £30 or thereabouts.
Made in Turkey :eek:
Thanks for your tip :cool:
If it conks again, I'll be back - but maybe only long enough to get some petrol and a match :p

Sponsored Links
Back