Running phone cable outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone I know wants me to run an extension to the phone line down to the TV. The BT line comes in at 1st floor level via a black cable to what he tells me sounds like a master socket (tho i am yet to see the job). He wants the spur run back out thru the same hole and down the outside wall, around the bay and into the lounge.

Is there special exterior grade phone extension kits available?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should use the same BT spec drop cable for any external runs on the consumer side. You can buy the stuff on ebay by the metre just search BT external cable.

i'm making the assumption this is an NTE5 master socket (google for pictures) which will make it easy. If you remove the half faceplate on the front of this there are four punchdown terminals which can be used for adding extensions on the consumer side. You should never add additional cable on the provider side. You can use cat5e networking cable internally in place of phone line in the past so I suppose you could also use external graded cat5e instead of the BT drop cable as it is cheaper but in such a short run it I would just go for the BT spec stuff.

If the socket is not an NTE5 I would advise getting hold of a modern openreach version of one of these too and replacing the existing older socket (again ebay is your friend here). The NTE5 is a better socket, easier to wire in extensions and the openreach versions also have the bell wire isolator built in which improves ADSL performance in some situations where interference on the bell wire can cause issues.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back