Passive IR + Insects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PIR detector in my porch (2mx1mx1m) which switches on an overhead light when a someone approachesthe front door. In the summer this is constantly triggered by insects flying in front of the lens at night. Is there a PIR model that is capapble of ignoring the insects or does anyone have an alternative suggestion to stop the problem?

Sponsored Links
Do you require all the detection area covered by the sensor? It might help to cut down the area scanned. Try cutting some insulation tape or any tape and placing this over the lens. Does the sensor operate during daylight?

Sounds like a cheap PIR activated light to me.
Something triggers it, insects get attracted and the circle begins.

Move the PIR if possible away from the light.
Problem solved.

Sponsored Links
Do you require all the detection area covered by the sensor? It might help to cut down the area scanned. Try cutting some insulation tape or any tape and placing this over the lens. Does the sensor operate during daylight?

Thanks for this suggestion. i'll give it a try and report back. no, the sensor has an adjustable lux setting so it doesn't operate during the day.

Sounds like a cheap PIR activated light to me.
Something triggers it, insects get attracted and the circle begins.

Move the PIR if possible away from the light.
Problem solved.

Yes that's right. but the porch is a relatively small space which becomes totally illuminated. so difficult to move the sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back