White or black paint: effect of sunlight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm patching up and repainting my fascia boards this weekend.

The previous owners painted the fascias black; the black paint is now flaking off.

Question: Would it be better in the long run to paint the fascias white, given that white reflects sunlight?

Mike

Sponsored Links
mike004 said:
Question: Would it be better in the long run to paint the fascias white, given that white reflects sunlight?
Yes, the black paint tend to blistered quicker in sunlight.

The type of paint will have a large effect on whether it blisters or not. I know of someone who painted their woodwork with microporus paint, and it's now falling off. Try linseed ol paint.

Try boat paint from International, its a lot more expensve but its gaurentead for years

Sponsored Links
Guaranteed yes, but under what conditions must you apply it for the guarantee to be honoured? Painting or varnishing boats is usually done under far more favourable conditions than painting parts of a house. First the wood MUST be dry, and boats are first painted bit by bit then assembled and painted again. If you stick all the bits together then paint the lot, it will fall off again just like it does off houses.

oilman said:
Guaranteed yes, but under what conditions must you apply it for the guarantee to be honoured? Painting or varnishing boats is usually done under far more favourable conditions than painting parts of a house. First the wood MUST be dry, and boats are first painted bit by bit then assembled and painted again. If you stick all the bits together then paint the lot, it will fall off again just like it does off houses.

Well anybody who paints wet wood is a fool and anybody who doesnt prepare properly is wasting their time, but the point i was making is that the paint is a much higher quality paint and has UV protection added in to it which is the thing that breaks paint down anyway and deliberatly not added to normal paint for obvious reasons

You might not even see the wood as being wet, but a boat will be left for perhaps months to dry out (I have a wooden boat) before coating. Window frames are unlikely to get the chance. The boat paint may be higher quality, and the function required on a boat is to be a waterproof barrier. This is not needed on a building's vertical face, in fact, you really need paint that lets water vapour pass through so the wood will not accumulate moisture. People who paint wet wood may well be fools, but there are plenty of low moral people about who call themselves painters and do just that, collect the money, and leave.

oilman said:
You might not even see the wood as being wet, but a boat will be left for perhaps months to dry out (I have a wooden boat) before coating. Window frames are unlikely to get the chance. The boat paint may be higher quality, and the function required on a boat is to be a waterproof barrier. This is not needed on a building's vertical face, in fact, you really need paint that lets water vapour pass through so the wood will not accumulate moisture. People who paint wet wood may well be fools, but there are plenty of low moral people about who call themselves painters and do just that, collect the money, and leave.

Oilman this really is a pointless conversation, i understand what you say but the paint i am talking about is deck paint for the top of a boat and not the anti-fouling stuff they use on the bottom of a boat, and i should imagine that they paint the upper of decks any time, any place, any time of the year, just puch in International Marine Paints in google and see for yourself look for a paint called Topside, i have bought and used it this year, it smells and goes on different to other paint, if we are still here in 5 years i will tell you if it lives up to the claim, and at 3 times the price of normal paint it had better do.

If this is so pointless why do you continue? Where have I mentioned anti-fouling paint? EVERY part of a wooden boat needs to be sealed against water, with an impervious layer. That is NOT necessary on facia boards and windows on a house since it should be a porus layer. Not surprisingly, I cannot find the paint you describe on the International site, the nearest I can find is Toplac, probably not the right one.

However, I did find this snippet from a discussion group:
Im useing paint with washed corsican sand.
On this new boat ,a 1946 fplkboat the previous owner and fool,that admited knowing nothing about woodenboats nor sailing striped the old canvas 0ff and replaced it with unproofed canvas he then painted it with international deckpaint all with advise from a traditional boat supply sh0p,
It seems so long as a product costs a fortune its the best!
Having got fed up with getting cold showers when it rained,and lasy weekend waking up at 1am in an inch of water on my bunk and water pouring into my sleeping bag water resistent cover,then hitting my head,i took back the canvas and have begun replacing the joins.
I found traces of the old covering it was oil paper!and still g0og today covered with proofed canvas(gone now) The international deck paints good (should be at the price)but has cracked?The areas ive painted with normal paint and washed sand hasn't and has a far better grip as well as looking better the internationals rather course and sparse.

Maybe it isn't the same paint you're using, but it's International, and, it appears it don't do what it says on the tin. I can assure you, a good boat builder will not be painting anytime, anyplace. (Unless he rides a horse).

oilman said:
If this is so pointless why do you continue? Where have I mentioned anti-fouling paint? EVERY part of a wooden boat needs to be sealed against water, with an impervious layer. That is NOT necessary on facia boards and windows on a house since it should be a porus layer. Not surprisingly, I cannot find the paint you describe on the International site, the nearest I can find is Toplac, probably not the right one.

However, I did find this snippet from a discussion group:
Im useing paint with washed corsican sand.
On this new boat ,a 1946 fplkboat the previous owner and fool,that admited knowing nothing about woodenboats nor sailing striped the old canvas 0ff and replaced it with unproofed canvas he then painted it with international deckpaint all with advise from a traditional boat supply sh0p,
It seems so long as a product costs a fortune its the best!
Having got fed up with getting cold showers when it rained,and lasy weekend waking up at 1am in an inch of water on my bunk and water pouring into my sleeping bag water resistent cover,then hitting my head,i took back the canvas and have begun replacing the joins.
I found traces of the old covering it was oil paper!and still g0og today covered with proofed canvas(gone now) The international deck paints good (should be at the price)but has cracked?The areas ive painted with normal paint and washed sand hasn't and has a far better grip as well as looking better the internationals rather course and sparse.

Maybe it isn't the same paint you're using, but it's International, and, it appears it don't do what it says on the tin. I can assure you, a good boat builder will not be painting anytime, anyplace. (Unless he rides a horse).

The reason i said pointless is because i am not disputing what you say which you think i am, all i am saying is there are better paints around but you have to pay for them.

As regards being waterproof,? I have no idea, my reference was to the way paint breaks down which is by UV light and this paint is supposed to have UV inhibiters added which is what you pay for the same as UV pvc windows are made from pvc with UV protection added.

You found the right paint but if my memory is correct Toplac is the one, then they have Brightside and Perfection my appologie's. They also do Varnish for houses which is supposed to last a minimum of 4 years before you do it again, but again more expensive

Ok then. My point is that an encapsulating paint is useful on boats, but to maintain a boat properly the paint and varnish has to be maintained and this will probably mean extensive repainting somewhere every year. Never mind what paint makers say, boats are expensive if maintained, and bloody expensive if you try and save money by bypassing a year.

For houses though, the demands on the paint are different, it can get fairly wet, and it can get very dry so the linseed oil paints (old type paints) are flexible, porus, easy to use, last for years (seven years between coats, and alternate coats are only oil) sustainable low energy input, almost no-toxicity, about as compatible with wood as you can get. The only drawback is the drying time.

oilman said:
Ok then. My point is that an encapsulating paint is useful on boats, but to maintain a boat properly the paint and varnish has to be maintained and this will probably mean extensive repainting somewhere every year. Never mind what paint makers say, boats are expensive if maintained, and b****y expensive if you try and save money by bypassing a year.

For houses though, the demands on the paint are different, it can get fairly wet, and it can get very dry so the linseed oil paints (old type paints) are flexible, porus, easy to use, last for years (seven years between coats, and alternate coats are only oil) sustainable low energy input, almost no-toxicity, about as compatible with wood as you can get. The only drawback is the drying time.

I cant dispute anything you say, but if you are correct then why not go and sell the stuff on that basis, if you can prove it you will put the others out of business and make a fortune :)

I've gone for black non drip gloss -- just "topping up" the old colour.
Looks OK at the moment...I'll report back in 12 months time!

Mike

Freddie, that's why I don't try and make a living selling it, because no matter how much better anything is than something else, people will always get the same old stuff they've been having problems with, and all the professionals who would have to learn something new, will tell them they are doing the right thing.

Most people can't seem to accept that somethong old (but new to them) might make them see they have got it wrong for so many years, and rather than admit they had it wrong, they do the ostrich impersonation. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back