Fire Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Purchased a decent B&D hammer drill just over a year ago (cost about £120) - thought it would be worth spending a bit more on a semi-decent drill. Uisng it last weeked and it got very. very hot and now suffers with a complete loss of power :cry: Spoke to a dealer and he thinks the armature may have gone? He suggests I buy a new one since it is out of warranty and would cost too much to rapair - although he said I would have to pay £30 to confirm the fault :evil: . Anyone had any dealings before with power tool repairs ? If I do decide to replace it, I am considering replacing it with a pro tool (possibly SDS) since I do use it a great deal - any suggestions/comments on what to buy would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
To be honest power drills rarely go wrong these days.All my power tools are Bosch and use it most days.The biggest problem with the power drill is the masonary or metal bits must be sharp otherwise you're forcing the power drill to overheat and another problem is when drilling into brickwork you should move the power drill back & forward to let the dusts out otherwise the masonary drill will get hot and harder to turn which will shorten the life of the power drill.You should never force the power drill,only let the drill do the cutting and this probably explain why all my power tools never burn out! It the same with power saw,if the blade is blunt then you're forcing the power saw to cut the wood which in turn shorten the life.

for what its worth my old b & d mains drill went out in style (must have been 12 years old) workmate was using it when its gearbox gave out. I didn't know you could get that much oil in such a small space of drill, but my mate found out, he got covered in it. you can get sds drills for less than £100 if you shop around, i will not have expensive drills (as i am inclined to loose them) having said that i will not buy the very cheap ones either

B&D hammer drill bought 14yrs ago to re wire house, over the years has had up to 36mm adapted drills used in it, still going strong. I wear the drills out before it even begins to struggle.

Sponsored Links
I have used Bosch SDS drills for years and also for the last two years have had a DeWalt SDS as well and both makes are brilliant for heavy regular use and have never had one burn out because in general a professional grade tool is built to withstand daily use, week after week and that is why it is worth paying the extra cash for one. I would bin the old one you have and try a Bosch or DeWalt SDS and a good model of either should set you back at least £100 but it should last you a good 5-6 years minimum.

DAZB said:
should set you back at least £100
and the rest for a dewalt (unless ..............you see that lorry.................this fell off the back)

I purchased the Bosch 4Kg SDS rotary hammer drill some 2 years ago. Its had lots of use both drilling and breaking, to the extent that I now need to replace the chisels. Comes with 2 sets of drills and a conventional chuck. What a tool, well worth the expense!!

I went the whole hog and baought Dewalt drills, an SDS, an 18v Drill Driver and a 12v Driver, each used for specific purposes, cost a packet but I use them every day and they are superb

I'm an full time professional electrician. Generally we use DeWalt powertools along with their drill bits but for screwdriving found "CK professional" bits to be very good (Gold in colour). Have had many bad experiences with B&D. Even for DIY use I think there overpriced (£120)and not really up to the job. I know several DIY enthusiasts who buy the Bosch diy (green) tools from argos. Anything goes wrong bring it straight back (straight forward replacement, no questions asked)

If asked I would recommend the following at good makes in professional power tools:

De Walt
Makita
Bosch (industrial , blue)
Hitatchi
and if you want to part with big money, Hilti (although I've never seen one on site)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back