Stripping paint from skirting board - recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thought I had this all covered when I used my Nitromors on Skirtingboard and Architrave with just the results I was after. I want it back to pretty much bare wood so I can re-paint to a nice even texture.

Purchased some new Nitromors, it won't touch it which I understand is down to a chemical removal.

Could anyone recommend anything else (apart from heat gun) and where to purchase.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a 3 inch belt sander on medium speed and use the original coat as a primer. Don't take the old stuff off - just sand it smooth.

Thanks but I don't really want to go down the sanding route. The old paint is pretty rubbish hence stripping right back. Are there no alternatives out there that compare to the original Nitromors?

You are just wasting your time. Either replace it completely or do what the pros do - and sand it. You can do a whole room in an hour. Messing around with Nitromors takes an age and is messy and expensive - and has NO BENEFITS TO YOU. But it's your choice.

Sponsored Links
You wont be able to use a belt sander to remove all the paint from skirting boards and architrave.

The paint will overheat and melt, clogging the belts.

If you definitely don't want to replace the woodwork then I'd go for a hot air gun. You can get a cheap one from £10/15 upwards.

Then finish with your paint stripper and a quick sand.

You will probably end up with a very visible and pronounced grain though.

Faced with the same task I would use a random orbital sander (connected to a dust extractor)- sanding the paintwork flat- but not sanding all the way through the paint. It will be much faster and provide a flatter finish

You wont be able to use a belt sander to remove all the paint from skirting boards and architrave.

If you definitely don't want to replace the woodwork then I'd go for a hot air gun. You can get a cheap one from £10/15 upwards.

Faced with the same task I would use a random orbital sander (connected to a dust extractor)- sanding the paintwork flat- but not sanding all the way through the paint. It will be much faster and provide a flatter finish

Which is why I said "use a MEDIUM speed" - any half decent sander has a variable speed. So yes you WILL be able to use a sander to smooth off the existing paint - not remove it. Then one coat of Crown Solo. Half a days work from start to finish.

I've a whole kitchen/utility to do and the Nitromors was doing just fine, hence wanting an alternative. Using is a sander is a no go, it doesn't get in the tight areas like the liquid did. Think I'll try the heatgun and see how it goes, otherwise it's hunt for the old clear nitro.

If your determined on stripping the paint then the heat gun would probably be both the cleaner and better option, yet the point raised by joe was a good one if you intend to re-paint there is really no need to strip the paint system.

If the paintwork is in good condition you will only be making more work for yourself.

Dec

If your determined on stripping the paint then the heat gun would probably be both the cleaner and better option, yet the point raised by joe was a good one if you intend to re-paint there is really no need to strip the paint system.

If the paintwork is in good condition you will only be making more work for yourself.

Dec

Joes was a good alternative but not what I wanted to do. My initial question related to a Nitromors method, of which is no good because they have changed the product so i'm seeking a product which is as good, if any. The paint isn't that good, it's flakey and poor in general so I was wanting to go with stripping, primer and decent top coat. I don't want the new Kitchen looking crap because of rubbish looking woodwork. What I've already prep'd with Nitromors is spot on and was taking no time at all.

Fair enough I take your point, take a look at a product called stripaway, now I have never used this product yet it may be what your looking for.

Dec

Dec

Joes was a good alternative but not what I wanted to do. My initial question related to a Nitromors method, of which is no good because they have changed the product so i'm seeking a product which is as good, if any. The paint isn't that good, it's flakey and poor in general so I was wanting to go with stripping, primer and decent top coat. I don't want the new Kitchen looking crap because of rubbish looking woodwork. What I've already prep'd with Nitromors is spot on and was taking no time at all.

google Biostrip, its one of a few eco friendly water based paint strippers on the market currently and used more and more instead of the old Nitormors type strippers. It doesnt work as fast as the old Nitromors but will strip paint and is dead safe to use. You can get this stuff via ebay btw or direct from the manufacturer Natech.

Which is why I said "use a MEDIUM speed" - any half decent sander has a variable speed. So yes you WILL be able to use a sander to smooth off the existing paint - not remove it. Then one coat of Crown Solo. Half a days work from start to finish.

Sorry- my bad- I misread your first post.

That said, a belt sander is not the correct sander for flattening the paint on architraves and skirting. Orbital, random orbital or D/A sanders are better suited to the task.

Do yourself a favour and just replace the skirting, its cheap and only basic diy skills are needed to fit the new. Architraves as mentioned heat gun will get the paint off in no time but to be honest is much easier to give a good hard rub down and just skim fill the imperfections such as where paint had flaked or chipped. I've done it countless times with red devil or any lightweight filler and looks like new afterwards and i honestly can't remember the last time i've had to strip an architrave.

Some good advice shown here so up to you really. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back