Running rads from wood burner DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wood burner in my house in Spain. It has an oven type thing on the top. I'm going to make my own copper coil to run around the top and then go through the house to run 7 radiators. I was going to put in a small header tank and pump the water round to heat the rads. Do you think the water will get hot enough to heat the rads or maybe even too hot. Any ideas welcome. Just thought I would try this before I took the plunge and buy a bio mass boiler.

Sponsored Links
Will most likely get too hot if anything, and you need to be very careful if doing it yourself as incorrect installation can lead to all sorts of nasty problems, including a steam explosion if you really cock it up. Generally these systems are done on gravity rather than pumped circulation

Thanks for that. I will run it gravity fed and put an overflow and some kind of release valve for safety. We used to have something similar in our workshop when I was an apprentice and we could get that to boil if we tried hard. If it doesn't work at least I will have the rads plumbed in for a proper wood burner/back boiler/ Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back