DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

White or Brilliant White?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arjay12345

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote

I have just painted the mist coat on freshly plastered walls using thinned brilliant white emulsion. I have found that the whiteness makes it look quiet harsh, and a guy at B&Q suggested the obvious (!) of using white instead of brilliant white.

Does anyone actually use standard white anymore, and if I use, will it give a less harsh/warmer feel? Or is it just duller? Recommended?

I have lots of walls so buying a specific tinted paint is going to be too expensive.

Thanks..
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
TheDec

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Brilliant White can be far to bold in some rooms and some find them to overpowering, using a standard white won't so much appear duller but less stressful to the eye.

Dec
 Alert Moderators
CookEe01

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I tried magnolia (too yellow) and every Dulux 'off' white in the book, Jasmine white, Cotton White, Almond White etc. All of them looked slightly 'yellow'. Decided to just white wash the house and brighten the place up with coloured accessories.

I went for brilliant white on my ceilings. I then put brilliant white on one of the living room walls. In the day it looked OK but at night it was really harsh. I've now put Glidden White on the walls. In the day it's pure white but at night, under electric light, it's much softer.

Just finished the living room. It's very stark at the moment! Will be great once I've got some colour in the room.
 Alert Moderators
Arjay12345

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

CookEe01 - Glidden is a brand, and presumably they do white and brilliant white? Which did you pick for your final look?

Thanks..
 Alert Moderators
CookEe01

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Hi - Glidden is the Dulux trade brand. I was advised to use it by my Dad's workmates in the building industry.

The Glidden is thicker and more opaque than normal Dulux (I've never tried Crown). The house had some dark colours on the walls and I've covered them in 2 coats.

It's also much cheaper than other paint. Approx 16 for 10 litres. The normal dulux is more like 25-30 a tin.

I believe Glidden do Brilliant White but the one I used on my walls is Trade Contract Matt in White. The Dulux decorator centres stock it.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: