Insulating and damp proofing a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I am planning on redoing our kitchen early next year and scoping out what exactly what i need to do about the floor.

At the moment it is lino/vinyl over orange tiles (quarry tiles?) which look original (house bulit circa 1910). The lino, which is pine coloured, curerntly seems to be rotting from underneath, as it seems to be getting some horrific brown stains that cannot be scrubbed off (i have tried everything!)

My plan is thus:
Remove lino and tiles
Self levelling compound to level floor
Damp proof sheet (heavy duty plastic sheeting)
Marine grade ply (18mm)
Lino or tile effect laminate

My questions are
Is this suitable
Would it be better to use a liquid dpm rather than plastic sheet
Shall I put somekind of underlay between the dpm and the plyboard?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do the walls have a DPC? Why not use a latex or epoxy based damp proof SLC rather than a separate membrane. I can’t see the point in the ply especially 18mm, it won’t serve any real purpose & won’t be dimensionally stable if damp does get in. You wouldn’t need to go to the expense of marine ply anyway, external grade/WBP is perfectly OK. If you need to make up the floor level use a bonded screed if less than 40mm thick. If 50mm + just use a plastic DPM & a conventional sand/cement screed but drying time will be considerable; bring the membrane up inside the walls.

Use appropriate underlay for laminate or vinyl floor coverings.

Hi Richard, thanks for the response.

The walls have the grey engineered bricks as their dpc. I will tie any dpm i use into those. Somehow :p

The reason for the ply is to make the level up quickly, as I have a young family and would need to get the kitchen back into play as soon as possible. The underlay would then go between the ply and the floor to ensure the ply is nice and stable

Also if we decide to go with lino/vinyl on the floor, i would imagine having it on ply rather than bare concrete would make it slightly warmer, esp if there is underlay between the ply and the floor (i know the u value is still going to be pathetic)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a bonded screed and a regular sand and cement screed???

Sponsored Links
The problem with laying ply is that you will effectively be creating a “floating floor”, this may not be a problem with Vinyl or laminate but you would be ill advised to tile over it. Even though WBP uses waterproof adhesive for the veneers, being wood, its not dimensionally stable if exposed to damp. If you really want to overlay the concrete, you’d do better to use something like Marmox insulation board which is not affected by moisture & will provide much better insulation than ply.

A bonded screed can be laid much thinner than a conventional sand/cement screed, a read here should explain things;
http://www.adhf.co.uk/html/body_screed_faq.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back