Alternator (but used for something different)!!! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is now leaving for a mission of a day............

I have some project work going on... I require an alternator to charge some batteries, My friend has got hold of a Vauxhall Astra alternator but we don’t know what model or the actual year (we think its 2001 onwards)

But I'm not sure how to wire this to charge 12V Battery (Both items will not be used in a car) I have goggled but Ill I can find is about alternators that are donkey's year old, So does not help me much.

Not sure if this alternator has an inbuilt charge regulator or not it appears to only have two terminals which are marked as B+ and D+

Can any one help,
Please see pictures

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Maybe the first thing to consider would be how to drive the alternator, as these things under heavy load can be very resistive to turn.
Anyway, the larger of the two terminals is the output one, and the other is the 12v exciter current that the alternator needs to get it working.
please appreciate that if you disconnect any battery when the alternator is spinning, its very likely to be damaged.
The alternator will have a voltage regulator and a rectifier within its casing.
John :)

They are basically very simple to use as John says. Unlike a dynamo they contain a regulator circuit within them. Apply 12v from the battery to the small terminal and you should have about 14.4v output which is correct for fully charging a 12v battery. As John also says they need a lot of power to drive them at anything like full output. 1Kw requires in excess of one and a quarter horsepower.

Peter

Maybe the first thing to consider would be how to drive the alternator, as these things under heavy load can be very resistive to turn.
Anyway, the larger of the two terminals is the output one, and the other is the 12v exciter current that the alternator needs to get it working.
please appreciate that if you disconnect any battery when the alternator is spinning, its very likely to be damaged.
The alternator will have a voltage regulator and a rectifier within its casing.

Thanks John this is great help, I all ready have a way to drive it that is not a problem :)

Sponsored Links
They are basically very simple to use as John says. Unlike a dynamo they contain a regulator circuit within them. Apply 12v from the battery to the small terminal and you should have about 14.4v output which is correct for fully charging a 12v battery. As John also says they need a lot of power to drive them at anything like full output. 1Kw requires in excess of one and a quarter horsepower.

Peter

Hello Peter
That's great news :) when you say apply the 12v from the battery I take it you mean the positive to the small terminal what about the negative?
Do I just attach negative from the battery to the body of the alternator?

As you can tell i don't know much about alternators... LOL but that is what projects are all about exploring and finding out :)

12V+ to the small terminal, + output from the large terminal, negative lead to the body. Have fun.

Peter

We'd be interested to see how you are going to drive the alternator!
Peter, do these things work if they are spun in the wrong direction?

I will let you know all the details once I have all the parts and is up and running "have ordered the rest today" Which should not be long by next week :)

A big thank you to you both (Peter, John)... :)

Peter, do these things work if they are spun in the wrong direction?

I would think so John, at least I can't see any reason why not. It produces a magnetic field which ever direction the the coils pass in and a bridge rectifier gives the same polarity output whatever.

Peter

Just to keep you up to speed, I have the alternator running and is performing well, Although I’m still awaiting my other parts to turn up, the other parts once they arive will run the alternator and does not require any eletric to drive it....

They should arrive on Monday fingers crossed they arrive in the morning :LOL:

The alternator will be used to charge 3 12v 110ah batteries.

I think its best to use a permanent magnet in the rotor for a wind turbine conversion.
As the alternator taken off the car will be very "notchy" to drive by wind.

It will charge in both directions and the small wire might need a warning bulb (5watt) in series between the battery supply (+) and the terminal on the alternator?

I've wondered from time to time if those generators that you see on small yachts are AC or DC.....with only a breath of wind the generator would indeed be notchy.

Sponsored Links
Back