Cenral heating booster pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi This may be the daftest thought out, but I am trying to sort out my Central heating in my bungalow. The boiler is in the garage and the furthest radiators are on the other side of the property don't get very warm, about 40 feet from the boiler. There is a pump about a third of the way across, but the furthest rads just don't seem to get enough flow. So what I was wondering is, ... is it feasible to put a second circulation pump into the system ( switched/ powered from the existing pump)??

Sponsored Links
What pump you got at the moment and what speed is it on ?

Chances are you have a poorly designed, and poorly maintained heating system that is corroded, not balanced and with a pump on the way out. A second pump won't change that.

Chances are you have a poorly designed, and poorly maintained heating system that is corroded, not balanced and with a pump on the way out. A second pump won't change that.
Not sure about the design, maintenance should be OK, Boiler serviced and fernox in water. Not sure of the pump model but it is a Grundfos and at the top speed rating although quite old at +15 years.

Sponsored Links
pop in a Grundfos UPS 15 - 60 from a well known internet auction site :idea: some are new in box there.

The most frequent problem I come across is the system is simply not balanced.

Go around each radiator and turn the lockshield valve down then open up 2 or 3 turns. Open the user valve fully. Run the boiler. Any radiators not getting hot open the lockshield up a further turn. Any radiators getting very hot turn down a quarter of a turn. Repeat as necessary.
Any pump should easily run approx 12 radiators there shouldn't be any problems with a bungalow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back