face bricks below dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has used normal face bricks above external ground level but below dpc course. this for the external skin only. The BCO has inspected at every stage and has never mentioned anything wrong with them.

Today i had another builder round for a different job, and said this is wrong and was suprised bco approved the work.
The bricklayer is adamant the work is fine. Is he right?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The bco has already passed it off, what should i do? Should i be worried? You said in your earlier post anything over F class is ok, These bricks are f1 class is that not higher? I'm getting worried now....

Nah I was wrong. How high up has the bricky gone? Probably be OK unless you plan on staying there for more than 20 years or so!

He's gone up about 15 courses from external ground level.
He's used concrete blocks and engineering bricks below ground level.
I feel gutted, what should i do? I do intend staying here for a long time.

Phone the brick supplier on Monday and ask for their opinion. If they are unhappy you could as for a written statements as to whether the warranty would be honoured should there ever be a problem and present it to your bricky..

And what about the bco? He inspected every stage. How come he passed it?

If it comes down to chaging them, does that mean knocking down the entire wall or should he be able to chisel them out and replace them with out any damage to the walls.

BCO are not responsible for checking quality of every last nut and bolt only the basics. There is no requirement within the Building Regulations to use frost resistant bricks beneath dpc level that does not necessarily make it acceptable practice though. I would think trying to replace the bricks without rebuilding the wall would be somewhat difficult compared to rebuilding the outer skin.

Anyway some clever clogs knowitall will probably be along tom to say you're worrying about nothing.

What he means is somebody with more experience may come along with some good advice for you Tom ;)

My builder has used normal face bricks above external ground level but below dpc course. this for the external skin only. The BCO has inspected at every stage and has never mentioned anything wrong with them.

Today i had another builder round for a different job, and said this is wrong and was suprised bco approved the work.
The bricklayer is adamant the work is fine. Is he right?
Risking being a knowitall ;) I suggest having a look @ some other houses - possibly 50s / 60s. Down here in Sussex there are many that have the same Facing Flettons below dpc. The builder doing " the different job " is he a bricklayer - "Builder" can cover a multitude of trades . I`m a non gas Plumber with C+Guilds . And an interest in building for 40+ years now ;)

Technically they are not suitable for bellow dpc but as said above check out some properties built 20+ years ago, I am not aware of any properties having collapsed from using LBCs bellow dpc.
If you ask anyone with experience of LBCs they will tell you they are crap, horrible to work with expensive and you can chuck 20% of a pack straight in the skip.
If its a new build dwelling I would change them.
On the other hand if its an extension what do you do if you want it to blend with the existing.
The faces can blow off over a long period of time and get gradually worse resulting in replacing the odd few but this will be many years down the line.

I'm also wondering now if hes using the right cement mix. How many shovels of sand would be adequate for half a bag of cement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back