Replacing slate tiles on the side of a dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to reroof the side of my dormer window ( similar to the picture attached ). I am planning to use reclaimed slate to match the other side.

//media.diynot.com/138000_137567_35950_89010363_thumb.jpg

I am having a bit of an issue working out how to deal the with the angle of the roof.

What is the best practice for doing this ? I have started from the bottom and nailed a row working from the outer edge to the angle of the roof, cutting the tile which meets the roof. When I nail the next row, I am having issues keeping the level of the 2nd row when I meet the angle of the roof ( as it is now 2 tiles overlapped ). I can see this getting more akward the more rows I overlap above. Am I missing something obvious ?

Can someone please provide some guidance on the approach to this.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Use a spirit level to either mark out head or tail lines.

Sorry maybe I wasnt clear with my question. I understand I can use a Spirit level to keep the line of the bottom of the tiles. The issue I am having is how to deal with the nailing the tiles in at the angle. I have done two rows which is fine but the next row up when I get to the angle of the roof, my last tile is sitting flush with the wall, whereas the row of tiles below have been built up.

Should I be bulking this out as I go ( working from the outer edge in ) or should I run a of cut tiles up the angle of the roof ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back