Checkmate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly let me say hello as I'm pretty new to this site, if not to the alarm industry.

The reason for this post is that I'm after a set if instructions for ACT's Checkmate meter set.

I've managed to pick up a set at a good price, largely because it wasn't working (battery was dead) and although it has printed instructions on the meters themselves and an instructional VHS (I've no longer got a VCR), I'm trying to locate a full set of instructions.

The model I have is the full 'Radio' model. I've only previously used the smaller/cheaper wired model.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Son of checkmate?

Could try the ACT site, they make it.
Instructions on the device are pretty clear too.

The other option is to use it and learn.

TBH I`m sick of people with no self motivation.

Welcome to the site, feel free to ask away. We will tell you what you should already know.......................

I've already checked the ACT site, unfortunately they don't have a downloadable version. That would have been way to simple. They have instructions for a large number of the meters and testers, just not this one.

As I stated earlier, my main reason for asking is to be aware of differences between the Son of Checkmate and the full Checkmate.

As to your comment about 'what I should know', I've had the meter for less than 48 hours, what should I know? I understand the basics (or I'd not have bought it), I understand what it should and can do, I've not asked for anything particularly 'off the wall' or obvious as far as I can see. Have I missed something obvious?

Edit
I've also emailed ACT Meters, and will, of course, post back here if I get a response.

But you never said you wanted to know the differences between "son" and "checkmate".

You will probably find it is more damaged than a battery fault as they are expensive and anyone knowing about them would not let one got for sod all.

Sponsored Links
But you never said you wanted to know the differences between "son" and "checkmate".

Thats true, I did however state in the original post that I'd only worked with the wired model before. I didn't name it as 'Son of Checkmate', but thats simply because most of the alarm engineers that I know simply refer to it as 'Checkmate'.

You will probably find it is more damaged than a battery fault as they are expensive and anyone knowing about them would not let one got for s** all.

I also didn't say that I got it for 's** all'. I said that I got it for what I considered to be a 'good' price.

Without divulging the price I paid for it (thats irrelevant in this thread), I can say that I paid a 'fair' amount for a 20 year old test meter (manufacture date is 91) that was being sold as working buy the retired engineer who'd had it in his shed for the past four years.

Due to the odd-ball size of the battery I was unable to test with a new battery as I didn't have one with me over the weekend (I have of course arranged to pick one up later in the week), but I was able to test basic functions by removing the battery and powering the meter up from a DC power back. So far so good.

These meters are fantastic, and if they were more affordable would be carried around by pretty much any decent alarm engineer. I'm simply trying to make the most of a 'good' buy.

David Grant loves them, he would.

Your right about the expence, decent engineers use other methods with the same results.

I've had mine since 1988 and not used it since 2004, still keep the batteries charge though, anyway, I'm sure I have still got the instuctions, I'll have a look when I get in from work tonight and PM you.

Thats outstanding, thanks for taking the time.

Even ACT don't have any instructions to hand for these meters. Although they have offered to do a full service on it for what I thought was a very reasonable £93. I will no doubt take them up on that in the future. :)

I've converted it to PDF just in-case it should be required by anyone else in the future and posted it HERE http://www.multiupload.com/7ISKSIT6OJ[url]

How unsurprising Alarm shows himself up as an arrogant abusive troll :(

Did he

LOL look whos trolling.

FYI have tried checkmate and its not all singing and dancing as it was made out. IMHO. Especially for the expence of it.
There are other ways of fault finding, and thats what it was designed for.

I suggest you look uo ACT Meters, specifically David Grant and how he started his business. His course is actually very intresting to attend if you can afford it :D Trouble is it would be of no use to you.
As I said Checkmate has/had its place. I could not justifiy its expence.

Oh and for the OP, there are loads of shops that convert VHS to DVD.

How unsurprising Alarm shows himself up as an arrogant abusive troll :(

Did he
What are you on?

fenix1363 started the thread, Alarm answered and on the conversation went, no problems.

Then you came along talking about Trolling.

Thanks lads, I think all know the score here.

Doubt YG3 had even heard of checkmate, let alone Son of before. Nor the man who designed it.

At least the OP is trying to be an experienced alarm engineer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back