Cooker hood wiring

LJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I\\\'m new to this. Hope you can help.
The cooker hood in my new flat is wired directly from the consumer unit to the hood on its own radial circuit with 1mm T&E cable. There is no FCU, the flex and cable are joined in a junction box hidden behind the chimney. Is this safe? What would happen if something went wrong as there is no fuse?

Sponsored Links
the mcb has probablly been chosen to provide protection to the hood so an extra fuse isn't really needed.

provided the mcb is a suitable rating (3A or 6A) and the connections are sound and done in a way that makes them unlikely to be damaged (flexes without cord grips can be a problem as they can get pulled out) then theres nothing wrong.

If as you say the cable goes directly to the consumer unit, it should be fused there, you'll probably find it's a 5/6 amp fuse / mcb.
If you want to fit some form of local isolation, isolate the circuit, dissconnect the cable join at junction box & install a switched connection unit between both cables.

Sponsored Links
Teach me to make a brew halfway through answering, beaten to it by plugwash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back